Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm officially "engaged"...what now?

Well, it's finally time for my fiance and I to start planning our wedding. Thing is, we're an unconventional couple, so we're going to get married at the courthouse and just have a reception party afterwards (we're not fans of standing in front of big crowds, lmao).

So what exactly do you have to do in order to get married at the courthouse? We live in the county seat city, so we're going to do it at the courthouse here. We just don't know what we need to sign or bring or anything : /

Answer Question

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:12 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 17 (3,823 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Social securiy card, birth certificate, and driver's license FOR BOTH OF YOU. No exeptions! must have those things. And just sign on the dotted line lol GL

    Answer by collegemom1007 at 12:16 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • Uh how dare you say that your officially engaged and not give details.

    Answer by amy31308 at 12:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • LOL :D

    Answer by caitxrawks at 12:20 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • kiss ur life good bye!! ur soon to have an owner! since u have the dog tags (ring) go get your owners card (license)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • LMAO @ anon wow!! Anyways the only thing that the first poster forgot to say was that you need money to pay for the license. I'm not sure about where you live but here in Illinois we went a day to get the license and paid for it but not until the weekend after is when the Judge performed the marriage. So just make sure you won't have to do that where you live.


    Answer by cynprz at 12:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • You'll need to go in WITH CASH to get the license (at least in Webster County IA it has to be cash lol) You will also need a witness equipped with a drivers license, state or military issued id who is over the age of 18. They need to sign the paper to get your license. You will need social security card and driver's license sometimes they require your birth certificate as a third form of id. (your best bet is to call ahead and figure out how much it costs and what all you will need.) You also need to know both sets of parents first, middle, and last names (mothers maiden). After you do that the person helping you obtain the license can help fill in the details for the rest. If its like here there is one morning a week that you can get married at the courthouse for free too. Anyway Congrats!

    Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • You need to have your license, and the ring(s) and your witnesses that is all you need.

    Answer by homealone_10 at 8:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.