Is it really poverty?

I notice that people always say that people in other countries are living in poverty.But are they really?It seems like everyone wants them to live up to our standards.But really,our standards are high.Just because they don't get to drive around in fancy cars and live in big houses doesn't necessarily mean they they are living in poverty.What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, you need to realize that a lot of places don't have simple things like indoor plumbing and they have waste running through the gutters right next to wear the children are playing. These kids don't have shoes or underwear or enough to eat. I don't know about you, but that's poverty to me. Not being able to afford IPods or a TV... no, that's not poverty to me.
    Anonymous

• OP here-Anon 12:54, We have all of those problems in certain areas here.But the media doesn't broadcast it as us being in poverty.But I was referring to areas that have the necessities but they are still said to be living in poverty because they don't have a lot of money.
    Anonymous

• Places that do have the necessities have them because they have enough money to provide them. Could you give some examples of places that you think people say are in poverty that might not really be?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Sure evwsquared.I was just reading a post about Jamaica having so much poverty and it being so poor.But there isn't poverty everywhere in Jamaica,just like every where in America isn't wealthy.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first anon. And I don't think there are any places here in America that are as bad off as what she described. Granted there are people that don't have indoor plumbing but they are very few and far between. In lots of countries that is the norm. There are lots of kids that are starving in other countries. At least here, if nothing else, a kid can eat lunch at school and we have programs for poor people to have access to food (WIC, food stamps, etc.). In my opinion if a kid is starving in America, the parent is at fault. There is no excuse for it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:17 PM on May. 13, 2009

• An interesting read is the wikipedia entry on poverty, which tries to define how you measure poverty: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty. For example, it says "Poverty is usually measured as either absolute or relative (the latter being actually an index of income inequality). Absolute poverty refers to a set standard which is consistent over time and between countries. An example of an absolute measurement would be the percentage of the population eating less food than is required to sustain the human body (approximately 2000-2500 calories per day for an adult male)."

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If you don't have shoes to wear and are drinking water that is bad for you that is living in poverty, and if you don't have enough food to eat that is really poverty.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 8:21 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Abject poverty:

Not having food, shelter and or living in circumstances that promote disease and/or are  dangerous, lacking basic medical care.

Relative poverty:

Barely staying out of abject poverty, but able to do so.

Not having what others  around you have. Lack most of one's  "wants", but also missing things that would make life easier and would allow one to be more productive.

Even more seroius than lacking cable T.V. and a cell phone!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:43 AM on May. 14, 2009

• ^^^^^ooops, serious!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:44 AM on May. 14, 2009