How do I get my neighbor to stop mowing (a large) part of my lawn??

How do I get my neighbor to stop mowing part of my lawn??

I think my new neighbor expected more property than he got. He removed the stakes (left by the surveyor when the property was sold) a month ago. Then he started mowing a (large) portion or my front and side yard. I know it is not the end of the world but, it really bothers me. My husband (who does not mow our lawn) thinks I am being petty and ridiculous. My husband did once point out to the neighbor where the property lines are but, he persists. I couldn't care less about grass but, it is MY grass and I want our neighbor to leave it alone. I do not want to cause ill will but, I do want him to stop. Can anyone suggest a firm (yet diplomatic) way to stop this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• or pay to have it surveyed. so there is no question. the bushes could work also. But then if he's feeling like it's his land then thats gonna start a problem. GL.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 12:37 PM on May. 13, 2009

• There is an old saying that goes: "Fences make for good neighbors!" Seriously, if you cannot afford a fence, I suggest some starter size thorny bushes...Barberry comes to mind, that grow high and very quickly and are QUITE effective at establishing "boundaries!" You can buy saplings VERY inexpensively HERE:

http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BAR+REH25

They're only $25 for 25 sapplings with FREE membership (they'll be nearly full grown in 2 seasons--but certainly big enough to keep people out!)  I believe shipping is free with a $60 order!  Such a small price to pay to peacefully deal with neighbors! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• In our neighborhood, lots of houses are built so that there is a large expanse of grass between one house's driveway and their immediate neighbor. We all call them "yard couples" and although we have individual landscaping near our walkways and driveways, the grass is mostly shared. Normally ( for the yard couples that get along) we/they will switch off with the mowing responsibility. One week homeowner 1 will mow the entire spread of grass, and the next week homeowner 2 would do it. Generally so that everything looks uniform, increasing everyone's curb appeal.

Maybe that is what he is going for, a uniform look for both lawns which in turn makes both houses look good? Talk to him about it again (he is a man, so probably needs things to hit him over the head) and if he still doesn't get the message maybe it is time for a low fence along the property line with some flowers on your side. Good luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Fence,flowers and thorny bushes-blackberries.
    SweetGems
    SweetGems

Answer by SweetGems at 1:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Ask him-would you please stop mowing my lawn.
    SweetGems

Answer by SweetGems at 1:09 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't complain but since your bothered go over and let him know while you appreciate him mowing your yard you'd just prefer to do it yourself. I however would just thank him.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Your complaining because someone else is mowing your lawn. Wow that is fucked up!
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 4:42 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I wish our neighbors would mow our yard with their riding mowers so my husband wouldn't have to spend two days mowing it with the weedeater.
    ajeffery1032

Answer by ajeffery1032 at 6:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• You say, "Gosh, it is so nice of you to mow my lawn but I like mowing my own yard and the exercise is good for me so I will do it from now on>"
    granluv64

Answer by granluv64 at 7:56 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If he persists on mowing your lawn like it is his I would put up a fence so that he can't take over your yard.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 8:13 PM on May. 13, 2009