Is the Salvation Army a church or just an organization?

My mom says there's a Salvation Army church somewhere, but I thought they were just a charitable organization. Hmmm.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:20 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I beleive it is just an organization now, but at one time church based.:o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:21 PM on May. 13, 2009

• As far as I know it has something to do with church
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 12:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• http://www.salvationarmy.org/ihq/www_sa.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/5F180AE9ED2270FE80256D4B0044DBA2?openDocument
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 12:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The Salvation Army began its ministry in the United States in October 1879. Lieutenant Eliza Shirley left England to join her parents who had migrated to America earlier in search of work. She held meetings that were so successful that General William Booth sent Commissioner George Scott Railton and seven women officers to the United States in March 1880 to formalise the effort. Their initial street meeting was held on the dockside at Battery Park in New York City the day they arrived.The National Headquarters was incorporated as a religious and charitable corporation in the State of New Jersey in 1982 as ‘The Salvation Army National Corporation’ and is qualified to conduct its affairs in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My above quote was taken from their web site
    2autisticsmom

• It is a church that happens to do charity work so they are mistakenly thought of as a charity organization.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=484#1

The Salvation Army is exempt under Internal Revenue Code from filing Form 990 as a "church or convention or association of churches." As a result, we lack sufficient data to evaluate their financial health. We know many donors are interested in this organization and have asked the Salvation Army to submit their financial data to us for review, and they have elected to decline, as they are allowed under federal law.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i worked for the SA for a summer. they have a chapel & do church service every Sunday. they focus a lot on doing as Jesus did by giving help thru charity work. the army part comes from the uniforms & rank they give their workers/ministers.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:53 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The Salvation Army in the town I live in does hold Sunday services. They also offer services for the homeless in our area such as a shelter and counseling. It all takes place in the same building.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have to say that I have a huge respect and gratitude for them. They are helping me with my divorce, giving me some legal and emotional support, and I am an atheist.They have programs that protect and help women and children, regardless of the individual's religion.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 5:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We have a Salvation Army church here. It's non-denominational. But based on Christian faith.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 12:33 PM on May. 15, 2009