My daughter is still biting! Help!!

My daughter is 28 months old. I just got called from her daycare (which we love) for her biting another child in her class for the 5th time in 9 days. I am beside myself! The school feels that she should be past this "stage" by now. She seems to do it when they have something she wants and if they don't give it up, she bites. The school feels she is very intelligent, which she is and we have tried talking to her. I made a consult at the pediatrician for day after tomorrow. I went to the school to pick her up and once I was there we all agreed that to her it seemed like a reward just to be with mommy, so I gave her a very stern talking to and tried to make sure she was listening to me, told her to make good choices the rest of the day and told her I'd be back later to pick her up. Please please offer any advice. According to "Toddler 411" biting her back is not an option, so I'm sticking with that so options other than

Luckiestmom118

Asked by Luckiestmom118 at 12:21 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ithink that you as the mother, you know the answer, kids will push our buttons weather is voluntary or involuntary, and when they noticed that we are loosing control they are frightened and they do things to regain control in their own way, my advise as amother is : Firs identify the root of the problem , have you had any mayor changes at home?, and have you prise your daughter, instead of concentrating more on the things that you don't want her to do, enphisize and praise the things you want her to do. example: Thank you for not bittng I'm so proud of you, you make me so happy,and do it on the moment when she is around other kids, and she is not bitting.
    I did that to my son when he use to push other kids just because, and I was having such a hard time it was harder for me than him because I was thinking about it all thay until I realized that we are the adults and we are incharge we have to find the solution

Pwrofmom

Answer by Pwrofmom at 1:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Good luck then...she will continue to bite until either you or the kid bites her back. Or she gets a few years older.
    Anonymous

• She is definantly old enough to understand what she is doing, she is 2.I would make a plan with daycare to work together and when she bites she is put in time out to start with, no toys no talking, no anything.. also make sure the teachers are saying to her"this is a safe place you cant hurt my friends"sometimes that will really effect a child. Unfortunantly, if my child was bit and it was by a repeat biter, I would demand that child be asked to leave the daycare. Not bashing and I am sure you have thought about hat already. If she has to come home, make sure she is punished everytime, no mommy time, a total time out with nothing fun at all. Sorry i cant be more help maybe other moms can help more. good luck tho.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2009

• every time she bites some one bite her back and show how bad it hurts nd she will stop
    angel_megan

Answer by angel_megan at 12:26 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I am not sure what people are gonna think of this.it worked for someone I know.I am not sure I would do it to my child. When the child bites tell them to bit your finger and put your finger down their thoat like to gag them.. Not saying I agree with that. I know that biting back works with puppies.haha
    I never had a biter.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Only biting back is gonna work. It doesnt have to be a hrad bite of corse. But so the child knows that it hurts.
    Anonymous

• I worked at a daycare for four years...biting back will work...so will the gag thing. Time-outs won't.
    Anonymous

• Sorry but it's true you need to bite her back, let her know how bad it hurts that is best way. I had two bitters and after getting bit back a few times they stopped. Good Luck
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 12:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I worked a in daycare for four years and although I belive in bitting them back, I would sue if someone GAGGED my child that is crossing the line.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 12:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• This is probably against most normal womens advice but it worked for me. My son bit all the time and hard. I started putting a little hotsauce on his tongue when he bit. He hated it. A few times of it and he would go to bite and I would say hotsauce and he didnt go through with biting. I would never bite my own child wow.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:31 PM on May. 13, 2009