Do mil's REALLY think dil's are scared of "grandparents rights"? Don't they realize their empty threats mean nothing to us?

My mil is threatening grandparent's rights because I refuse to let my dd go over to her house, though she is welcome to come to OUR home to see her. So far she has refused. She thnks she has the right to have our dd go to HER house because she's the grandmother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• actually you are not doing anything illegally wrong I am going through the same thing except my kids can't go to their grandma's because their aunt is crazy so I make the grandma come to my house. Accordng to most state laws the only grandparent's rights is to be able to see their grandkids and you are offering her that oppurtunity she is the one denying herself not you.
    Mom0f306

Answer by Mom0f306 at 1:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Why don't you let her go to her house?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yes, they think we should be scared. No, we shouldn't be scared.

My MIL pulls the same thing. She only wants to see her grandchildren on her terms in her home without our presence.
    Anonymous

• Is there a reason why you wont let your daughter to go her house?
    Anonymous

• At least she wants to see your daughter : /

I'm dealing with the opposite situation with my own mom (my MIL died a year and a half ago). My mom always claims grandma's rights when I ask her to babysit. She says she wants to do it on "her time", because that's what being a grandma is "all about". Ugh. She wants to be a part-time grandma, and I hate it >:(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If your MIL reared your dh and he turned out ok why would you think she would harm your child?

Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i have a friend in a similar situation.. and i totally feel your pain..

its your call as a parent to decided where your dd goes and who its with.. regardless of your relationship to those people
    raehope

Answer by raehope at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2009

• original poster here:

She beat my so when he was a child.
    She smokes like a chimney.
    We don't get along because I married her "little boy"
    Anonymous

I was thinking the same thing. You should be careful how you treat your MIL OP, because karma is a bitch. If she has done nothing to harm you or your family, than why dont you allow your daughter to go to her house?
    Anonymous

• My DIL and her mother refused to allow anyone in our family to see my two grandsons bc they are nuts and wanted to be divas. Well they got to be divas and shut us out. Now that the boys are 18 and over they HATE their mom and other grandmother for keeping them away from us. They screwed these boys up so much with their over bearing neurotic behavior that they are both drug users trying to escape the control the mom and other grandmother had. Now as young men they are trying to escape the clutches of these crazy women and want our family. Quit being crazy and let the MILs help. Keep the lives of the children balanced. Let the kids know others love them and want to be with them. If not, the kids will grow up and hate you forever.
    Anonymous