How much spit up is normal?

I have a 6 wk old daughter who is spitting up alot. (It soaks a bib). We have already changed her formula 4 times (by doctor orders). She is on a Similac formula now for food allergies and colic. She is doing much better on it. She doesn't spit up at every feeding. Some days are better than others. I'm just wondering how much spit up is normal? And is there anything I can do to help her keep it down?

melissa0425

Asked by melissa0425 at 1:07 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had to switch my son to Enfamil Nurtramigen. He has reflux - and would spit up at least a couple ounces after feedings! Try keeping your baby still & upright for 20 minutes after feedings. My son outgrew the major spit-up episodes around 5-6 months (but still will spit up some)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• She's still really young. You may need to change again w/ the formulas or maybe not but keep in mind the spit up is mixed with saliva so it sometimes looks like a lot more. You worry she's not getting enough but usually they are. My son projectile vomited as a newborn and freaked me out completely every time but the doc said not to worry and he was right.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:09 PM on May. 13, 2009

• my son would spit up the entire bottle til we changed his formula, it was enfamil lipil with iron and now its prosobee lipil. he barely spits up now thank god. but i looked it up and it said like a few tablespoons is normal, which comin out of a babies mouth it looks like alot but really isn't
    Anonymous

• well my son had the same thing i finally switched to similac senstive and it helped alot he is lactose senstive cant have to much.... good luck!!
    blakie123

Answer by blakie123 at 1:30 PM on May. 13, 2009