Anyone's kids have "part-time" grandparents?

Like...do your parents or your SO's parents only want to see your kids on THEIR terms and never yours?

My mom always does that. "I love being a grandma! I can see her when I want and give her back when she cries!" Gee, thanks, Mom.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think most grandparents say that. I've heard lots of people say that about their grandkids and honestly I think I'll feel the same way when I have grandkids. It is ultimately your responsibility to meet your childs needs (unless your mom is babysitting or something) so yeah I kind of agree that the benefits of being a grandparent is that you only have to put up with the good and let the actual parents do all the rest. They've done their job! It does suck though lol.
    Anonymous

• no mine are worse they favor my nephew and but him toys and candy and shit and don't do shit for my son i keep telling everyone he might not realize it now but one day my son is gonna realize that grandma and grandpa love his cousin more than they love him and he is gonna resent them for that. and i'm not gonna blame him. I tell them all the time if they are gonna do that kinda stuff than they need to do it somewhere else not right in front of my boy.
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 1:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Well, that's just how it is. They have their lives to so if they can't watch them then they can't watch them. When does being a grandma mean that you HAVE to babysit or watch your grandchildren when your child wants you to? Get a babysitter if you want one. Let your mom enjoy her grandchildren on her own terms.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have had my first child 25 years ago. I have 3 sons. My parents have never voluntarily come to my home to do anything with my sons. When they are with my sons, they ask questions like "do your parents let you listen to rock and roll?" or they tell them not to do something we have requested. They, however, will go get my brothers' children to spend the night or go on trips. They don't understand why, now at 14, 22 & 25, my sons don't go out of their way to see them. My parents don't seem to understand they cultivated relationships with my neices and nephews but treated my children, because they didn't grow up on a farm, as if they were not as smart as the farm children. Well, it's their loss, and I have really stopped trying

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Where is this sense of entitlement coming from that since you popped out kids that your mom HAS to be a full time Grandmother? That's bs. Grow up and take care of your kids and don't push them on your mother
    Anonymous

• Be extremely thankful for what you have. My kids only have 1 grandpa left. That said, Its not your mom's responsibility to take care of your kids, she just needs to love them and it sounds like she does.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:19 PM on May. 13, 2009

• So us grandparents are suppose to come running when our kids say, come over to see your grand kids. We already raise our kids..Like I told my DD.It's my time to spoil the grand kids. And when I get tired of them I can hand them back to the parents. That's grandparents rights.

Answer by louise2 at 1:20 PM on May. 13, 2009

• my mom only ever watches my son once a year.....if I am lucky enough to get that. You should be grateful!!!!!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:22 PM on May. 13, 2009

• why should grandparents be forced to watch their grandbabies when it conveininces you?
    Anonymous

• my dad has seen alex 6 times and he is 2 years old in 1 month (they live 45 mins away). hes seen paige 1 time and shes 4 month in 1 week. My inlaws and mom visit when they can but they live further away.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:26 PM on May. 13, 2009