How do you punish a 5 yr old for bad behavior in school??

I have tried anything and everything talking about the situation, taking toys away, not playing outside with friends, time out, and sadly even as far as spanking which I am not a fan of what so ever!=( Nothing seems to fix him not listening or misbehaving in school. I have even tried therapy and there only answer is that I am not consent, which I feel I am bc I never have the issues at home or when he is with a friend or neighbor. Just wondering if theres anyone else out there that might have another way...I am completely lost? I have gone to meetings with the teacher and principle and requested that they send a behavioral chart everyday but I havent gotten that. I almost feel like I am not getting the whole story? Please help....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• keep reminding the school to send that chart home..Some schools just dont give to poos about it...they think that its something that can be taken care of at home...but if hes hving problems just at school it has to be something with his teacher or someone else...Good luck and keep fighting!!
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 1:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• he needs a Christian school they will teach him his abc's and manners.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:19 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If you never experience this at home then there may be a problem with his teacher or another kid in class. Have you talked to him about his teacher? Have you asked him about his freinds or if he is having trouble with any of the other kids? Another thing might be a difference in your perception of acceptable behavior and his teacher's perception of acceptable behavior. For example, my six year old got in trouble last week for playing swords with a friend at school. He knows that it's okay to do at home (I'd rather have him play swords than guns) but it isn't okay to do at school. When you talk to the teacher about his behavior, does he/she give you examples or do they just say, "He doesn't listen" or "He doesn't behave"? He may not realize he's acting out at all if this is the problem. What's okay at home may not be okay at school even if it isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My daughter has problems at school. It is nothing extreme, but she is always bringing these yellow marks home which means she was told not to do something 3 times. My daughter is in counseling and I was also told that I am not consistant with her. Well in the past month my daughter has completely changed. If she gets into trouble at school she is now grounded for 2 days of NO PLAYING AT ALL, she sits in her room after doing school work, and gets to eat dinner. Depending on what she gets into trouble with her consequences are different. I take away what is important to her on a daily basis. So what she thrives off of I take. When I am not consistant oh it shows she will have problems. I say it is about being able to give consequences for all bad behavior even back talking.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 2:23 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If you feel like you don't have the whole story I'd suggest taking a day and visiting. But sometimes children act better in front of their parents, so another option would be to talk to the teacher and ask if she would record on video her behavior. It doesn't have to be all day, but a time of day in which he usually struggles. My son struggles in kindergarten. Days that he has minor infractions, we let him choose whether he wants to take away his bedtime story or his desert. On major infractions (like having a temper tantrum in the principal's office because he bit someone in class--yeah that was his monday..) we take away both plus t.v. and put him in his room (a torture worse than death for him) except for dinner. We take away Wii for more than 1 day, but mostly each day is a fresh start.

Find what your child likes. Tell him the rules. Be consistent in enforcing the rules. perfect...no better...yes good luck
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 3:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

• When schools grip about my grandson I go sit in and watch him. The teacher complains and yells at him for stupid stuff. I'm a retired teacher so I know how petty she is being. I wouldn't punish him at all. I'd talk with him and see HIS side of what happened during the day. Perhaps the teacher can't keep his attention. She might just be boring the child and he finds ways to amuse himself. So don't blame him for being a five year old. It takes time to program them to be the little Stepford kids schools want them to be. Sorry but I think it's awful that they want to strip children of their personalities just bc the teacher doesn't like how they color out of lines. Go visit the school and stand outside the room and observe BOTH he and the teacher. The problem just may not be your child.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:26 PM on May. 13, 2009