How should I introduce whole milk?

lovemygirll

Asked by lovemygirll at 1:37 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• this is what I did! my son had 6 oz bottles. I began slowly with 1 oz milk, and 5 oz formula, then a few days later, 3 oz milk, 3 oz formula, then soon it was all milk, within a couple weeks! keep in mind you dont have to give him the calcium with only milk! sometimes I replace 4 oz of whole milk with 1/2 cup of yogurt with a meal!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Try mixing it with breast milk or formula, increasing the percentage every few days. For example, 3/4 breast milk/formula, 1/4 whole for a couple days, then increasing to half or each for a few days, then 3/4 cows milk for a few more.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:43 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We skipped cow milk (we had a baby human). We started with a sippy of water at around 9 months. I breastfed until about 23 month (she was just too busy). Lots of nutrition foods like beans and leafy vegetables for calcium : http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html, and lots of good fats like avocado, olive oil and ground flax.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:46 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I am still breastfeeding, but was supplementing with formula. She still gets a 4 oz bottle before bed. We've been slowly adding milk to the formula. She's at a bout 1/2 and 1/2 now. I still can't get her to drink anything other than water from a sippy cup. She also refuses to drink my milk from a bottle or a cup when I am at work! not sure what that's all about!
    lovemygirll

Answer by lovemygirll at 2:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i mixed the milk and formula together for a short amount of time
    then just gave him milk
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I just gave my son 2% milk. Ran out of formula and didn't have any money to buy another can of formula, so he got what we had in the house. He did fine too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:38 PM on May. 13, 2009