does anyone know about "thickening of the nuchal" ?

i am between 22weeks & 25 weeks preg. they are not sure yet, but i had to go to mount sinai hospital for an u/s so they could check out my son more closely! they said he has thickening of the nuchal with some fluid. his head is a little smaller then normal as well, but everything else is normal. is or has anyone gone through this and what advise can you give me to prepare for what they might say? im getting worried because my first born son was and is completly normal?!!! please help.

p.s. no smart-ass remarks please!

mommy.sherry

Asked by mommy.sherry at 1:40 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Here's a link with some info on this:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2948386
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:44 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I just had a nuchal translucency ultrasound yesterday (12 weeks 5 days). They check the fold at the back of the neck because apparently babies with Down Syndrome have a thickening of this fold along with a pocket of fluid. The presence or absence of that, combined with results of your blood work, can give them an idea of the baby's possibility of having a genetic defect.

good luck

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:58 PM on May. 13, 2009

• come on ladies hit me with your best shot im dyin here wondering whats this could be!!???!!!
    mommy.sherry

Answer by mommy.sherry at 5:29 PM on May. 20, 2009