What do I do with all of these shells??

I live in VA and I go to the beach all the time, but I just can't seem to come home without a bunch of shells. I already have way too many and I have no idea what to do with them!! I have big shells, little shells, conk shells, oyster shells...you name it! They are beautiful but I just don't know what to do with them. I don't want to do anything tacky or outdated with them like put them on a picture frame but something cool and interesting. Any ideas? I was thinking about maybe making candles with them....any other ideas?

Mrs.KaraLomax

Asked by Mrs.KaraLomax at 1:51 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Get some foil cake pans and a bag of cement. Make Stepping Stones for your garden, use the shells to embelish them. Be creative you can buy dyes for the concrete, have your little ones put their hand or foot print in them. Have fun and post a pic if you make them.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 1:59 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Get some sand and plaster of paris. Let the kids (and you too) make hand prints in the sand. Use the shells to decorate the hand prints. Gently place a wooden dowel in the sand and pour in the plaster of paris. You can do feet too... my kids had SO much fun making these. We used blue sand and that made the finished product even prettier. I used a sharpie to date the back of each one. I have them stuck in my house plants.  

I'll try to find you some links with pictures. If I can't find something online, I'll upload some pictures later of ours...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:08 PM on May. 13, 2009

• found the directions and one picture at Family Fun:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11997

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• buy an empty glass lamp and fill the lamp with them
    starshine57

Answer by starshine57 at 5:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

• You can make a wreath with grapevine or styrofoam and hot-glue the shells to the wreath. Pop a store-bought or homemade bow on it and put it in your bathroom, etc.
    granluv64

Answer by granluv64 at 8:02 PM on May. 13, 2009

• if you have access to a dremel(small drill) you can drill holes in them and make jewelry, and sell them to jewelers. You could make some shadowbox art with them... not tacky, more like what you would see in an old science classroom.. where you glue a shell to the back, then hand write the name of the shell and the "scientific" name.. such as

"Oyster - Crassostrea Gigas" .. and then do several other varieties in the same shadow box. its hard to explain what I'm going for here but if you've ever seen the shadow boxes with butterflies pinned in them, I'm thinking along those lines! http://www.flickr.com/photos/willowtreepapercrafts/3157701557/

Anonymous

• You could put some sand in the bottom of a large vase and fill it w/ shells and then put some pretty flowers in it.
    lovetulips78

Answer by lovetulips78 at 9:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you can put them in a glass vase, with a drilled hole on the bottle and make a lamp out of them, you can make wall art, (mirror frames, bows with shells in the middle and sailing rope, etc).. you can make a table top out of them glue the shells down, the get some groute and mix it with sand, for a beach like effect...

necklaces and jewerly.. especially with hemp is really nice looking...

or use them to make gift baskets.. as filling, or glued around the baskets..

you can use them on a lamp shade for decorattion..

put them in a glass vase, and put a candle ontop.

sell them on e-bay by ounces, or pounds..

you can make anything out of them, just have to get creative.. they are great for making gifts for others, or making crafts to sell for a profit.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:03 PM on May. 14, 2009

• http://familycrafts.about.com/od/seashells/Sea_Shell_Crafts.htm

Here is a whole page full of craft ideas for shells, Have fun!!
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 4:26 PM on May. 14, 2009

• garden.....
    shadow box....
    jewelry if small enough....
    wind chimes are really pretty and organic
    center of table decor
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:23 PM on May. 19, 2009