The Island.

If you've seen the film, what did you think of the clone society?
Personally, I think it symbolises organised religion. It seems a well ordered society on the surface but dig a little deeper and you find the sinister agenda of those in charge. Other parallels include the strong discouragement of questioning and the promise of "reward" in the form of the lottery.
Thoughts?

beeky

Asked by beeky at 2:16 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It was sometime ago I saw that movie, but I certainly see the parallels.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It seemed more similar to an "Animal Farm" like communist society to me.

The ones in control decided their jobs, had them all wearing the same things, discouraged family, or personal thought, didn't want them to know about religion at all.

And if you've read animal farm, you will recall the work horse that gets sent to the glue factory when she's no longer considered useful.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I think you have to have a pretty dark view of the world to think all religions out there have some "sinister agenda."

I think most genuinely believe what they preach.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 2:49 PM on May. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous I think you have to have a pretty dark view of the world to think all religions out there have some "sinister agenda." I think most genuinely believe what they preach.

Organized religion is not the same as religions, it is the power structure that is suspect.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Is that the one DiCaprio did after Titanic? It seems vaguely familiar but I don't remember it, and now I'm intrigued and have to go look it up on Netflix.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:50 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Notpanicking:  It stars Ewen McGregor.  It is a really good film and tackles the moral and ethical issues of cloning and it has lots of good action;)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:00 PM on May. 13, 2009

• mogencreative:  You made some good points.  I had forgotten about Animal Farm.  It has been years since I read it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I haven't read since high school either...mmmm, maybe I should pick it up again.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:36 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I could see that. But since it's a Michael Bay film, I doubt it's that 'deep'... hehe.
    taylor-made

Answer by taylor-made at 12:17 AM on May. 14, 2009

• I think it more reflects a socialist existence. However, there are those throughout history who have used religion to do evil. Some organized religions do exploit and oppress people, but not all, and just because people try to give God the credit for their lunacy, it does not mean that He deserves the blame!

My experience has been a positive one. I was always encouraged to question and think critically.
    TrekkieMom

Answer by TrekkieMom at 12:57 AM on May. 14, 2009