Looking for suggestions for teaching aids to help tutor my child over the summer.

Any recommendations? It is for a fifth grader and due to this year he is at a 2nd-3rd grade level. So trying to catch him up 2 grades over the summer (poor kid)

Sorry about putting this in just for fun not sure of a better category.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You can get many teaching aids at the dollar tree. Wal-Mart and Sam's Club have great workbooks for all school age kids. I would also suggest getting the book What Your 4th Grader Needs to Know. I assume you are saying that he will be a 5th grader this coming year, right? The whole series is great and I suggest getting them for anyone with kids in school. They really help you keep up with what the kids are learning or at least should be learning :) One thing that will help you and him keep everything going is a sticker chart (dollar tree) with his subjects of study. That way he can earn rewards by staying on task, neatness..you get it. I'm a homeschooling mom and for us that works really well. Good luck!

TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 2:50 PM on May. 13, 2009

• do a google search and add the subject, grade and "lesson plan". That should bring up ideas for aids you might have at home

Answer by admckenzie at 2:59 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I'm going to a teacher/homeschool supply store to purchase summer course plans for my high school daughter who failed two courses this year and has to repeat them next year. I figure that if I keep her mind active on those two subjects for the next two months then she may be more apt to jump right in and start working at the beginning of the next school year.
    Look for school supply stores in your area that sell to teachers and parents that homeschool. You don't need to prove that you are either one, anyone can shop at those stores.
    Also, try to make it fun for him when you do it, don't have a rigid format (let him sit outside on the porch if he wants), and don't make him do more than two hours of learning per day. Reading is most important so visit the library often.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• PP is right, I think. Keeping the actual sit down instruction to a minimum but I would make the school day longer. School day, as in no TV, video games, etc. for the whole day. If he does want some TV or video games, tell him they have to be educational. You can find all kinds of great learning games he can play online. My son has a Nintendo DS and if he finishes his work he can play WordJong, Brain Age or Brainquest. You can also find a great deal of educational videos at YouTube.com. Now you can create a playlist of little videos on one subject and then just hit play and let him watch. If you have netflix, you can rent Magic Schoolbus, Schoolhouse Rock (remember that?! It's still cool :) , Mr. Wizard...
    My son stands at the table instead of sits when he does his work. I think flexibility is one of the perks of homeschool. I let him do whatever he wants as long as the work gets done.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 8:09 AM on May. 14, 2009