my friends child was accepted

to a university, but then was declined because of income anyone know what the problem could have been? like to help, but she wont share all the info? i know the family is livinvg check by check, there home was recently saved from foreclosure, they have no savings, no equity,can a college deny you for being under income, or tight income?? Thanks

proudmomof4boys

Asked by proudmomof4boys at 2:28 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• It is more likely that the child declined the acceptance to the university because of his financial situation than that the college rescinded their offer. I've never heard of a college doing that. Many colleges, in fact, are "need-blind" in their admissions. If he'd been accepted at Harvard, he wouldn't have had to pay anything, in fact!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Where was the school? Even if the admissions are need blind and they will probably get assistance, there are inevitably expenses that aren't covered, particularly if it is far away - even coming home for vacation can become an issue.

I agree with the previous poster - I have never heard of a school accepting and then rejecting an application.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 2:46 PM on May. 13, 2009

• never heard of such a thing. Financial aid may have not come through but schools are hurting for money and need every student they can get! I'm guessing the student applied to the school but didn't apply in time for financial aid. Have the mom call the school admissions office and see what's up

Answer by admckenzie at 10:15 AM on May. 14, 2009

• It's more likely that the child was accepted to the school but made too much for certain financial help, or didn't make enough/credit problems to get a loan, or couldn't pay for the tuition without help. Universities rarely take back acceptance unless the child gets into legal problems.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:31 PM on May. 14, 2009

• She may have only gotten a certain amount of financial aid & then she would owe a balance. Perhaps they could not afford what they would owe. I used to work at a college, it is sad
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• She was most likely accepted, but declined the acceptance herself due to financial setbacks. A 4 yr private university can run you upwards of $30,00 A YEAR and a state university is usually around at least 30,000 for a 4 yr diploma.

I had to decline my acceptance to more than one university because I simply could not fathom going $120,000 in debt for a 4 yr degree just because it was a private university.

Many undergraduate students can only borrow $20,000 over a 4 yr period and the rest has to come from federal aid/grants and their own pocket. Chances are it's just not feasible for her or her family, sad but to often the story.

Or I do know where I live the 2yr community college offers a BETTER nursing program than some of the 4yr universities in the state and costs less than half as much as is over in 24 months opposed to 48 months.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• she can get financial aid
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:57 AM on Oct. 18, 2010