are favors really necessary for guests at a baby shower? and another Q?

i am throwing a shower for my Best friend who has 42 people on the guest list. (at my house)it's expensive, (and the economy sucks, obviously) I think that the priority is the Mom-to-Be. So I'd rather spend on making the party nice for her.... Do I really need to get favors for the guests? Also - 42 invited, and only 14 rsvp'd..... do you think the rest will show up without rsvp-ing? Should I get enough food/cake/drinks etc. for 42 or 14?? This is my first shower - so I need some advice!! Thanks ladies!?

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 2:45 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• wow that is a big difference I would concentrate on mommy and buy in between for the few that might show up but some what closer to the rsvps
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:52 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would get food for about 25 this way its a medium of what you invited and what rsvp's plus you never know some people may show up with children. Favors are not necessary but are nice to have. Here in Mi our local dollar store has cute baby shower favor boxes and you could just fill them with some mints or chocolates. So that may cost about $5-$10 to do, it all depends on what your budget can handle! :) Good Luck
    Anonymous

• i almost always skip party favors! i can not afford it all! besides... the party is for the mommy to be and the baby! i think it was someone with lots of extra time and money that started the party favor tradition.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 2:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Favors add a personal touch to the shower and is also a way of thanking the guest for coming. I would do favors as cheap as possible though. For mine...I bought about 30 candles (30 guest) pink and white color, and put them in a cellaphane bag with a ribbon around it and attached this saying "This is a gift for you today, so when I'm born you'll light my way, and when that happy day is here, burn this candle and spread good cheer". I bought Yankee candles and bought the ones out of season, so I paid about 70 cents each for them.
    And about the RSVP's...that sucks. People just don' get RSVP!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Perhaps it should have been two smaller ones but that's ok. I would make enough for half the invited guests. Normally about half show up. The shower police won't come out and arrest you for not having favors. It's your home. Do what you want. If you just want stuff then look online to see what crafy things you can do by using things you have around the house or go by someplace like Dollar Tree and see what they have. Be creative. Just have fun. Don't stress over small stuff. If you want to, you could call the ones who have not rsvp'd and just make sure they can't come. That might help in the planning of the food.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• OK.... admckenzie... i think i'm going to have to make new friends then, my SIL sent out 72 invitations, cooked brisket and ribs for 50, and 14 showed up, 5 of which were her own children(under 6 yrs old). If you're afraid you might not be able to afford party favors, or don't want to buy too many, maybe go out and buy 3 or 5 things, spend like, 5-10$ on them, and play games or draw names to see who wins the prizes!

If you need a couple games to play, try these:

Blind Baby! --- A race... have several set ups at once. One person sits in a chair, hands under their bottom. Another stands behind them, with their arms looped under the seated person's. Give each standing person a pudding cup and a plastic spoon. The person standing is to feed the person sitting, and who ever empties their pudding cup first and gets the most fed, wins!

Sippin' 'Sauce! --- Who can sip the applesauce thru the straw the fastest?

cont...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Pass the Dirty Diaper! --- Take a diaper that has been "fixed" with chocolate syrup in the right place and pass it around the circle. When the music stops, who ever is holding the diaper is out!

Guess Who? --- Ask for everyone to bring a baby picture. (This would be a good way to see who is coming... call EVERYONE that got an invitation, say something like, "Oh, hey, just wanted to ask that if you were planning to come to the party that you bring a picture of you from when you were young for a game we've planned!) Have all the pictures laid out, and make lines for people to fill in who they think the babies are. If most women don't know each other, just have the pictures of the mother, mother-in-law, sisters, and mommy-to-be. Whoever gets the most right wins a prize!

Guess Mom's Tummy Size! ---Have each woman pull the yarn to the size they believe would fit perfectly around the belly... closest wins!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Never say "Baby"! --- Have each woman place a yarn "necklace" with the baby safety pins around her neck when she gets to the party. Tell everyone the rules at the beginning of the baby shower that whenever someone says the word "baby", any woman who calls that person out gets a pin from the other woman who stated the word. At the end of the baby shower, the woman with the most pins wins!

I've Never Piggy Bank Game - Have each player pull out 5 or 10 coins from their wallet. Be sure to have a change jar just in case. Have one player start out the game with saying "I've never...." (i.e., I've never pee'd in my pants while laughing). All of the people who have done what that person says they have never, puts a coin in the piggy bank. Last person with money left wins!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:48 PM on May. 13, 2009

• question asker here -

the "rsvp by" date is passed - and i have called and left messages with the guests i haven't heard from. i have a few games planned and some really nice prizes (6) for the winners, in lieu (SP?) of favors. so hopefully that will be fine. thanks so much for the great tips and advice! you all are wonderful as usual!! mwah! i'm open for more advice though this is very helpful!
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 4:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you dont have to but you could go to a dollar store in get favors maybe cheap candy?
    angelfor1

Answer by angelfor1 at 4:18 PM on May. 13, 2009