Organizing Coupons Questions

I am having trouble organizing my coupons. I feel like when I go to use them it is chaos and lugging around three kids is not helping the situation. I like to go into the grocery store and coordinate sales and coupons so I have a hard time planning ahead so I basically have to search and search some more. Anyone have some great tips for organizing? At the moment I have them sorted into household, diapering/baby, eating out, food and misscellaneous.

On top of this I have started organzing a coupon swap at my MOPS group so I need to figure out how to do this for others. I want to make it easy for Mom's to share coupons but also make it easy for them to find coupons that they might be interested in. So any suggestions would be great!!!!

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 2:56 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Shopping

• I use a mini file holder. I is a little bit bigger than a checkbook. It is separated into sections with tabs (I write the name of each section on them.

I have:

Breakfast
    Snacks
    Frozen Foods
    Meat
    Vegetables
    Misc Foods

&

Me
    My Husband
    My Kids
    Medicine
    Cleaning Supplies
    Misc.

I hope this helps.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:27 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have gotten really bad about cutting anymore. But when I did. I did as you do separate them into categories. And I kept them in a little plastic organizer with a strap, and mark each compartment with whatever categorie. Or you could do the same with an index card holder.

Other than that I am not much help

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It sounds like you are going to the grocery store without a list. Before you shop, you need to do your meal plan (I do meals and snacks for the next 8 days); base your grocery list on your meal plan and pull out coupons that match your list. Eat before you shop; this will help cut down on impulse buys.
    I used to be in the habit of buying items because they were on sale or I had a coupon; I wound up overy buying, overspending, and throwing away items that expired before they were used.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I do write out a menu to ensure that I do not forget anything I live 45 min from the grocery store so I can just run and get things. I do adjust my meals as to the meat that may be on sale. I have been able to feed our family of 5 for about $300 a month which is what I comforatble with.
    (I plan meals for about 15 days or more depending on pay periods and if my husband is around or at sea).I only use coupons on things that we are already in the habit of buying. If I find a coupon for something like cheese I tend to stock on cheese which helps us to save.

Anyways I think that BrandonaMom1000 helped me to realize that I need to break my categories down farther into subcategories to make organizing easier.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:14 PM on May. 13, 2009

• You can also save more by using beans, lentils and tofu instead of meat; and using dried beans instead of canned.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I use a coupon organizer. I have it divided into dairy, canned foods, box foods, breakfast foods, refrigerated foods, frozen, household cleaners, personal hygiene, snack foods, drinks. I make my list the day before I shop after looking at sales fliers for the week and making a weekly menu plan. I then sort my coupons and only take the ones I need to get things that are on my list. That way I am not tempted to use coupons on something I don't need just because I have a coupon. But because I buy mostly organic and healthier foods, I don't get to use many coupons.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:38 PM on May. 13, 2009