Public School

Im reading through the poll "Were you bullied in school" Im almost in tears!
But if so many people got so hurt in school-- why do so many want to send their kids into the same battlefield!
If so many were bullied in school, why is homeschooling such a bad idea for most?!
Does everyone have the "I lived through it so can they" or "Ill protect them" mentality! Parents getting into the situation usually makes it WORSE.. and thats even if you ever have a clue your child is being bullied!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agre with you 100%. People have this mentality that throwing them to the wolves wil make them stronger....crushing their spirits in the meantime,

I homeschool my kids and while I do so for MANY reasons, that IS one of them. My job as a parent is to raise my kids to be successful and confident. Why do we need to put our kids through hell in order to acheive that?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:43 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i was a bully and i was bullied.. i think its good for them to go to public school weather they get it or not... they have to know there is more put there than what there parents make for them.. life is hard and they need to know that.. bullies arnt just in school but ever where out here...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:08 PM on May. 13, 2009

• First of all it isn't surprising that most of the people that would post on a poll about bullying would be those who have been or know someone that is or was.  We tend to answer the posts that focus on things that affect us personally.  For example, I'm not as likely to reply to a poll on what it's like to be a teen mother because I wasn't.  Also you are going to get the worse horror stories for the same reason. 

Second, homeschooling to avoid bullies isn't the best reason to home school.  At some point in life we will all encounter someone who just doesn't like us, it is far better to teach your child how to deal with things than to hide your head in the sand, or to isolate your child.  I have always told my children, remember for every one bully there are five people that like you.  So you may prevent kids from being bullied but you also isolate them and prevent them from making as many friends.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:13 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I was bullied although mildly. I hated high school and yet I do send my kids to public school. I homeschooled for a while when they were younger and I am glad I did, but I also am glad they are in school now. They all do well and if I thought they were being bullied and having a really hard time, I would certainly either homeschool again or change their school. I don't want my children to have NO hard patches but I will also do everything I can to not have them have any beyond difficult, life long damage patches, either.
    momof3cs2

Answer by momof3cs2 at 3:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I was bullied more in PRIVATE school than in public school. Bullying does happen and we need to teach our children that it is not ok and to report it to an adult. If parents don't do something when their child is being bullied, it will continue.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree and I homeschool :-)
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you also isolate them

only if you set out to. school is not the only place to socialize, in fact it's often said in school that the students AREN'T there to socialize.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:23 PM on May. 13, 2009

• homeschool kids ARE NOT isolated! There is so many activities to do as a homeschooler that saying they dont get to socialize is a JOKE! Sure you can keep them in the house 24/7.. But most homeschoolers do everything they can to get their kids out with other kids as much as they can!
    Anonymous

• I think it would be great if we kept our kids home for longer.. I think sending our kids to school at age 6 is way to young! Maybe wait for them to mature a bit more, have a stronger since of themselfs... We dont send our kids anywhere alone, but we think its OK to send them to school-not very good! Kids still need alot of structure, alot more guiding & a teacher cannot do it! There are too many kids!
    Maybe age 10 or so would be alot more better for our kids.. 5th grade. 6th grade.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:15 PM on May. 13, 2009