How can I get my 6 year old to stop sucking his thumb?

i've tried hot sauce....threatning braces....and making him wear gloves/socks on his hands and sitting in time out when he gets caught with it in his mouth....any other suggestions would be emensly helpful....I'm running out of ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on May. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask your pharmacist about a thumb sucking solution you put on the finger. It tastes dead awful. I can't remember the name of it. My grandmother used to use quinine but that was ages ago and I don't think you can use that now.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• ciann pepper...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yep both are good. Make sure too put in all fingers though. My daughter sucked other fingers when I put it on her thumbs.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I tried all those solutions. I have finally taken my daughter to the dentist. In 3 weeks they are putting a RAKE in her mouth. It connects to her back molars. when they put their thumb in the mouth it becomes uncomfortable and she said that all the kids she has put this in have stopped sucking their thumb. I have tried for the past 2 years to get my daughter who is 6 1/2 to stop sucking her thumb. This was the final solution.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 4:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

• When my brother was little (he's 22 now), he sucked his thumb. My mother tried the No Thumb Sucking solution, but he sucked through the nasty taste, and eventually suck it off. She tried hot sauses and spices, but we have Cajun blood, so THAT didn't work. lol I don't remember if she finally found something that worked or not, but my brother eventually stopped sucking his thumb. What 16-year-old is going to suck his thumb at school or in front of people?
    cary717

Answer by cary717 at 4:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I've heard Band Aids work- the waterproof ones. They're cheap and they taste nasty.
    RealityFan

Answer by RealityFan at 9:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Leave him alone. He will stop when he is ready. How many kids do you see walking across the stage at high school graduation sucking their thumb?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• There are clubs and orginazations that show people sucking thumbs and other fingers througout their lifetime.... Its not abnormal. My brother is trying to get his 4.5 yr old to stop.. and they kinda made an agreement.. on when thumbsucking was appropiate... Such as my niece now knows that she is allowed to suck her thumb.. but only @ nap and or bedtime. Thats it. And surprisingly she does wonderful. Try to come up with a middleground and see if it might work!

I myself still suck on my pinkie finger once in a while usually when i'm severely upset or stressted out.. and only in private... Everyone has their vices
    JRM3282

Answer by JRM3282 at 5:32 PM on May. 17, 2009