how soon should you start a baby on cereal?

my son is 15 weeks old. he is ebf. he seems to be watching us a lot when we eat. is it too early to try and give him cereal?

momofbaizoe

Asked by momofbaizoe at 3:17 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no! not at 15 weeks. the earliest is 4 months but it's still recommended to wait until at least 6 months. just because your baby is looking at you acting like he wants your food doesn't mean you should just start him on food.

you also need to wait until his tongue reflux is gone...it's where he sticks his tongue out when you put something in his mouth. it means he's def not ready.

their tummy's are NOT ready for cereal that early. if you give it to them too early, they're more likely to become obese.
    Anonymous

• I started my son on rice cereal @ about 4mos. Your son is probably ready. If he is showing interest in food when your eating/able to sit supported I would try a little bit at a time. If he is ready he will swallow it ( keep in mind at first he may spit out more than he takes in...). If he opens his mouth, swallows, etc he is ready. If he pushes it all out w/his tongue & dont appear interested or seems like he cant swallow then wait a few days-week & try again! good luck! take pics!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i have a 2 mnth year old and i started putting cereal in her formula at night to help her sleep. it is fine to give to him, if you mix it in with his formula just make sure to make the hole in the nipple bigger. but i think its fine to give to them mine doesnt have any problems with it at all.. if your still concerned just ask your babys peditrician if they recommend it, but it still your call..
    newmommy031309

Answer by newmommy031309 at 3:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It IS recommended to wait until 6mos & I did for other foods because his primary nutrition is breast milk/formula...but...it wont hurt to give him small amounts of rice cereal & get him use to solids/eating like mommy! **note: to much rice cereal can contribute to constipation in some babies so use sparingly! wink*
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If it's not recommended, doesn't it make sense that some research shows it does hurt?
    Anonymous

• Not to be rude but I have to disagree w/new mommy 03/13/09...Its not recommended to put rice cereal in your infants bottle especially for bedtime because of the risk of choking & the risk of obesity. Some mothers do it & thats there business but I personally would not recommend it. I would give your baby small amounts maybe in the morning time w/a few tiny samples of mixed fruit? propped up in a highchair/etc. that gives him a chance to properly digest it ( tummy time/exercises/etc) during the day vs sleep time when his little body has to work harder to digest it ( makes him more at risk for constipation/tummy aches/etc ). I have a 7.5mo old son & im not an expert so by all means consult your pediatrician....but from my knowledge/experience I would say thats the best way to approach the situation.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Babies observe EVERYTHING. It doesn't mean they're ready for everything. My baby tried to suck my toes a lot. That didn't make them good for her. So no. When you start solids (absolutely no sooner than 6 mos), skip the cereal. It's nutritionally useless. Just empty calories w/ artificial iron.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• EBF? Keep it that way for as long as possible. IMO no sooner then 6 mos for ANY solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• In response to "anonymous" w/all due respect....it is recommended to wait until 6mos NOT because of the risk of harm to your baby....but because all the nutrition they NEED comes from breast milk & formula. Many doctors agree that if your baby is ready its fine to introduce small amounts of solids for the purpose of getting them use to eating solids not for nutrition factor & its not recommended by any doctor to my knowledge to give a baby under 4mos of age? so basically you dont substitute your milk/formula & go buck wild w/solids or force the issue....common sense. good luck sweetie!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Breastfed babies don't need cereal, and in fact it can be somewhat dangerous. Infant cereal is linked to severe versions of FPIES (life threatening condition similar to an allergy), and anemia in the breastfed infant. The recommendation by those familiar with breastfeeding is to actually avoid infant cereal altogether and with solids such as green beans or peas or a fruit at 6 months when the baby's gut is fully sealed and allergic reactions are less likely to occur.

Babies watch EVERYTHING. :) It's normal for them to watch. They watch us walk. Does that mean that they're ready to walk? No. It means that they're learning visually so that when they ARE ready, they are ready. Eating is the same thing. A baby is ready to eat when their gut seals up (sometime around 6 months), when they can hold their head up well, when they have at least one tooth, when they can sit up unassisted with no support for at least 15 minutes, etc.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 3:48 PM on May. 13, 2009