How soon is too soon to start baby food?

My daughter is 4 months old, and we started experimenting with baby food, and cereals, ect. She really didn't like the cereal, but she loved the veggies. Squash, sweet potatoes, and peas are among her favorites. I was wondering though, and 4 months is it to early to be trying out veggies? I was told not to even consider anything until 6 months, but others say go with your instincts and if she's eating it okay, than to proceed. What do you guys think?

JLynnMcKay

Asked by JLynnMcKay at 3:47 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told to start with cereal and only that til they are 6 months then on to the veggies because their systems are fragile and they could develop allergies(my pedi is pretty conservative though) but if she is handling it ok then I guess it's fine. I would ask her doc and follow his instructions though, he/she knows best!
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 3:52 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Jasey - When I went for her 4 month check up + shots, her pedi asked me if I was trying solids yet, and I told him we had tried a couple of veggies, and the cereal, and he was quite supportive, just made it clear to wait 5 days to test for allergies and all that. But, some other people i've told that she's starting just look at me as though I left her in a blizzard to fend for herself!
    JLynnMcKay

Answer by JLynnMcKay at 3:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• some doctors just say it's ok just so they don't have to deal with the parents. in reality, they say the EARLIEST is 4 months (on cereal, not baby food) but they recommend not to start any food until about 6 months. like the pp said, it could cause food allergies if you start too early, and their tummy's just aren't ready for it.
    Anonymous

• here's how i was told: at 4 months, if they are double birtth wt, weigh 13 lbs at least, and sit supported and ave good head control, start cereal, then after a week or 2 start one not green veggie like carrots, wait 5 days, start a diff one like sweet potatoes, then in 5 days start squash. eventually start green veggies, then fuits. i also mix in the baby foods in his rice cereal sometimes. don't rush a bunch of foods at once, but its fine to start the stage 1 veggies. i also give him stage 1 prunes cuz my son has gotten constipated since he was born & has to have prune juice. wait until they sit independently to start stage 2 foods. and they have to be at least 6 months to have juice. as long as the baby seems interested in eating & doesnt have any adverse affects its fine to try veggies. go to gerber.com for a nutritional guide based on milestones & a suggested menu its what i use
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The general rule of thumb is between 4 and 6 months for starting solids.

I did it all veggies first then fruits. I did it alternating a veggie and then a fruit until he tried them all. And I tried it alphabetical order. lol There is no difference between any of them.

I did stage 2's because they were more cost effective. Twice the food for less than double the price of stage 1 jars. There's no difference in the single ingredient foods, just twice as much food so two meals for much cheaper than two stage 1 jars. After they did all the single ingredients, we started combos and table foods (at 6 months). By 9 months they were on all table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I was told not to start solids until my son was 6 months. I make my own baby food.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 4:51 PM on May. 13, 2009

• my son is 4 1/2 months old. He has been eating single grain cereal mixed with formula and apple juice(for flavor) since he was about 2 months. LOVES it!! We started him on stage one jars of veggies and fruits. I have altered between the two and he LOVES them as well. carrot, sweat peas, squash, sweet potatoes, apple sauce, we also tried a stage 2 (on accident though) hawiian delight. He loves jar food. I usually mix it with his cereal at night before bed. He does great on it. Its more or less if you think your baby is ready then go ahead. My son does good eating off the spoon and setting up in his high chair so I don't worry so much that he is eating jar foods now.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:05 PM on May. 13, 2009

• www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on May. 13, 2009