• In the Spotlight:

Would you prep your child for a filling...

or just let them find out when they get there? My son goes tomorrow to get 2 fillings. My husband told him that they will drill his teeth, but we have neither mentioned the fact that there will be a shot involved. He's a needle phob like his mom (lol) and I just don't want him freaking out about it before he should. But, then again, I don't want him freaking out when he gets back there either! I don't go back there with him because he will behave worse if he thinks he can get some sympathy from me and I figure they deal with kids all day. Anyway, would you tell him now or let him find out then? I'm kind of leaning towards letting them explain everything.

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 4:06 PM on May. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• WE did not tell our son 5 and he was fine with it. Sometimes if you tell them too much info, they get freaked out b/c they have lots of time to make it worse than it is in their imaginations.

Dont make things a bigger deal than they have to be.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:25 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My son had them and was fine, he said he didn't even feel the needle. It's not a big deal, and if you dont' make a huge issue of it niether will your child..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:09 PM on May. 13, 2009

• they will more then likely try to hide it from him they still hide it from me
    angelfor1

Answer by angelfor1 at 4:09 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I might mention the numbing stuff they smear on the gums BEFORE the shot. If you have any orajel in the house, you can let him smear some on his lip or finger to see how it works. I would also mention his fear of shots to the doctor - the doctor may be able to distract him so he doesn't see or feel the needle.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:13 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Let him know about the special gel they use to numb him up. Maybe not so much focus on the needle. Definitely tell the Doctor about his phobia to needles. It helps them know and be prepared, they can do it without your son seeing it. Doctors don't like surprises either.
    mommarykaje

Answer by mommarykaje at 5:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My son had 2 fillings when he was 5 and they didn't need to give him a shot of novacaine. The dentist said that they weren't very deep and that they would avoid the shot if they could, but if he started to complain about it hurting they would do it. He made it through without. I did not warn him ahead of time because he would have freaked out and never let them near his mouth if he knew they were going to try that!
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 9:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• tell the dr of the phob so they dont show him the needle. have him close his eyes or something.
    I told my son but that is him, they didnt even have to drill his they just used a hand tool.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:02 AM on May. 14, 2009