6 year old not in school?

My step sister has a daughter who just turned 6. I recently found out she's not in school. My step sister has never provided a stable enviroment for those kids (ie bouncing them from one guys house to another because she refuses to work and mooches off the guy, and lets both of her daughters, 6 and 2, call these men daddy...but that's for another post) and says that she had to move out of the place she was staying to another place and hasn't had a moment to enroll her. She moved over a month ago. My niece is 6 and can't write "mom" or "20" without being told how. I'm afraid she's too far behind and my sister is just not going to do anything. Should I report her?

vicki136

Asked by vicki136 at 4:09 PM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• i mean you have to remember thats family.im not gona tell you what you should do because im not in that positiion but if i was i would take matters into my own hands and i would spend alot of time with her daughter teaching her myself and i would make it my job to make sure she gets enrolled cuz obviously your sister is putting herself before her kids and that will affect them later on down the line.i would get those workbooks that help kids with math, reading and writing and stat from the bottom up , if you put her in skool now there most likely gonna put her in kindegarden being that she cant write or read.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 4:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Contact the school system, anonymously. They may consider this truency. They are supposed to intervene when a child is not in school when they are supposed to be.
    Anonymous

• OP I should mention she WAS enrolled in school until my sister moved. How long she actually went to school...I have no idea. I would love to help my niece learn things but my sister moves so much I end up knocking on doors of places she used to live and coming face to face with people I don't know. I have bought the leap frog thing for her but I honestly don't think my sister is using it.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i agree with both she needs to be reported but she could get charges agianst her for not having her kids in school. my dad almost got in trouble with this because my step sis and step bro didnt go to school for a month when he even told then why they were out. but i would call anon so they dont say somethng to her that would hurt her feelings about you calling or her getting mad at you.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:19 PM on May. 13, 2009

• she needs to be in school,we delayed until 6 and everything is fine.But later than that is going to set her back bad.As a family member I would contact the school myself and let them know.We started teaching at home and my son knew his numbers ,how to write his name,simple math,and was starting to read.Some schools will not even let the child start if they can't count to 10,write their name,know where they live and know the ABC, I feel sorry for the child,she needs a loving adult in her life.
    starshine57

Answer by starshine57 at 4:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Is there any way you might be able to offer to let your niece come stay with you until your sister gets her life in order? Maybe it would provide the stability your niece needs.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• What state does she live in? Some states don't REQUIRE enrollment in school until 7 years of age...so while she might not be doing much good for her daughter, she might not be breaking any laws either. If she's too busy to do it, offer to take the paperwork to the school yourself and get her enrolled.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

I'd love to. However, I just had a child myself and my husband and I only have a 2 bedroom home. I'm thinking I'm going to have to talk to my step mom (who I'm close with) and tell her something needs to be done. They have room at their house and my step mom works part time. Maybe she can take her until she gets her S**t in order...
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• ReneeK3

We live in WA.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:40 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would call the school in her district she is zoned for. Say that you are aware of a child in that district who is not being schooled or homeschooled. Explain that you would like to remain anonymous and that you are concerned for the educational welfare of this child. The school most likely will send a school social worker or administrator out to the home to verify that a school aged child lives there. They will get the ball going from there. If they do not come out you can call social services. But social services most likely will call the school to have them go out first. This way it looks like the school did everything and you are free to have a relationship on good terms with your step sister.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:45 PM on May. 13, 2009