when is the best time to potty train a toddler, mine is 16 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when they're ready. lol. signs of readiness are waking up dry, dry after they eat a meal/snack, taking their diaper/pullup off when wet/poopy, they tell you they need to be changed, they run and hide when they're pooping, they run to the potty and sit on it, diaper on or off, when they have to go. each kid has their own signs so look for any of these in your child. it may be just a couple of them, all of them, or just one of them. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

• There is no general "best age". You have to decide when you and your toddler are ready for the challenge.
    There are two schools of thought:
    Start anytime (even birth). YOU will be doing most of the work - learning your child's signs and getting him to the potty, working his clothes, holding him on the potty, etc. Eventually you will be able to transition those tasks to him.
    Wait until he is ready. That really varies by child. The biggest thing to look for is can he go 2 hours or more between wet diapers? Other signs: Does he know the words for pee and poo - even if he can't say them, does he understand them? Is he interested? Can he follow simple 1 and 2 step directions? Can he pull down his own pants (not critical since you will be in the bathroom too)? Are there any big changes in your house in the coming months - new pets, babies, visitiors, vacations, new daycare? How's your patience level?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on May. 13, 2009

• achually my kids I started before I seen the signs when i felt like trying you just have to be consistant with it and think about it first if you really want to train them that early cause once you start you have to keep at it until they finish cause switching back and forth will only confuss them and take it harder to do it. My oldest was fully trained other then nap and bedtime at 19 months she learned pee and poop at the same time. My second is 16 months old and we are training her she does really good she pees really good in the potty we have been doing it for a month now. Well achually we tried, but she got real sick so that we had to stop until she got better. She has pooped on the potty, but she still has a lot of pooppy accidents. She has been waking up dry at bedtime and naptime now for about a week. But I always started when I felt like starting. Which is around 12 to 18 months for me.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:25 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I personally think 18 months to 2 years. I PT one nephew at 22 months and one at 28 months, guess which one was easier... The 22 m/o. My youngest nephew wasn't PT until he was 5(thanks mom) he still has accidents at 7. When they are older they get used to their diaper and they start to use the bathroom as a control issue.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 4:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If your child is bringing you a diaper when they're wet or dirty, then they're aware of their functions and should be introduced to the potty chair. Both of my kids started doing this thing where they'd hide and go to the bathroom in their diaper, then bring me a clean one.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:45 PM on May. 13, 2009