mean daughter

My daughter is almost 3 and she is VERY mean to her brother who is almost 1. She is always pushing him over and taking things away from him just to throw it so he can't get it. Then at times when she gets mad because he is trying to play with her she will push him over and this is when she really scares me she puts her hands on his kneck. When she doesn't get her way or gets in trouble she throws a tantrum and tries to kick him. She has kicked him in the head and face, I have done time out but that doesn't seem to work. I am a stay at home mom so I am at home all day. Alot of the time she gets most of the attenton in the house. I just don't know what else to do and don't know where she is getting this attitude.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 4:18 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like shes going through that stage where kids get jealous of other kids.she could feel like he gets more attention just cuz hes younger and might be taking that anger out.some kids go through a stage that they pick on there siblings just ecause there older.all in all i think she just could be a little annoyed just becausse its her baby brother but you have to do something to make her realize it isnt right and she cant get away with it.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 4:23 PM on May. 13, 2009

• let me know what helps. my dd is 3 and she so mean to my other dd who is 1.
    LuckyCharmed200

Answer by LuckyCharmed200 at 4:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My son used to do the same thing. I would spank him put him in time out for 2 minuts or until he stopped crying then i would talk with him about it. tell him that it wasnt ok what he did. I made him repeat it back to me everytime. He doesnt really do it anymore. I was just consistent with the punishment.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• This might sound like I'm suggesting dumping your daughter off somewhere, but trust me, I'm not. Have you thought about enrolling her in preschool part time? It would teach her how to share with other kids, have kids closer to her own age to play with, and give you and your son some much needed quiet time together. It worked wonders with my soon to be four year old, and she has a great time learning. Most preschools take children at two years, and there is plenty of financial aid available if needed. My daughter only goes from 8:00 am to 1:30 pm, so she isn't away from home enough to feel displaced. I would suggest looking into it.
    Good luck!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 4:32 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with 3 is enough. This is rough. This is the time you really wanna smack your kid but what I did was spend special time with my son when he did this to my baby son. She is feeling jealous and insecure and is taking it out on the thing that is making her mad. To be clear, I set aside "special" time alone. I didn't do it when he was being naughty. it got better over time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My daughter (9) is still pretty mean to her brother (6 1/2) at times. She seems to be especially mean when she feels like he's copying her, or not letting her be herself. She has to be first at everything and the center of attention. I moved so they now have their own rooms and that has helped. I also make sure that we sometimes have "girls' night" together (movies, salon, go for a walk, whatever) and my son goes out with dad (sports games, movies, walks, etc). And, of course, we do switch it vice versa and spend time all together too. However, this has seemed to help.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I do try and spend extra time with my daughter. Every Tuesday is gymnastics and when I run to the store when daddy gets home I usually take her with me. The school around here take kids at around 4 years and we don't have the money for a day care. We looked into it and they will not approve us for help because they say we make to much. I looked into school for her because I do online school and it is hard with the kids running around.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 4:54 PM on May. 13, 2009