$20,000 for a wedding??! How can I have an AMAZING wedding for about $5,000?

I have a few ideas.
My Aunt has a big house with a gazebo practically in her front yard. We could do the seremony outside and have the reception party in her house.
Thing is ... I WANT the set down dinner, with table settings and linens and centerpeices and all that. Her house isn't really big enough for that AND to have room to dance, because I want that too! (Unless she moved out all her downstairs furniture for the party! And that's a lot to ask!)

So ... where are some cheap places for wedding receptions?

unsuspected

Asked by unsuspected at 4:22 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• City parks. I paid $35 for my wedding in a local park in front of the rose garden. It was Beautiful. I would contact your city parks and recreation department for more info.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you can buy the fabric on your own, or have people donate it. know anyone that just got married? maybe you can see if they're willing for you to use their bows/fabric/isle runner, ect. to be honest, a $20,000 is a low budget wedding, you can have a nice one, but it reallly depends on your version of amazing. go to craiglist, wishuponahero.com, or any other website you may know of, and see if anyone is willing to donate things from their wedding, if you don't know anyone that just got married. don't know about the dress you're wanting, but the lowest wedding dress i've seen is about $500, and if you're buying one, you may want one more than that, so it could be most of what you're budget is. GL
    Anonymous

• also consider that if you decide to have a reception/wedding outside, you have to have a decoy in case it rains that day.
    Anonymous

• i agree a beautiful location at a park can be nice you can rent gazebos, tables and chairs. you can actually reny pretty much anything(table clothes, linens,silver ..)make your own invetations and center pices(look for ideas online) and buy wholesale
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 8:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Parks are inexpensive! For music, my friend had her friend play DJ - he just put all of the music they wanted on his iPod and they borrowed some speakers from a church, I think. Sit down dinner... my cousins had a friend set up everything, and family members made it like a fancy potluck. they just brought everything beforehand. Have a wonderful beautiful day!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We spent less than $10k for an out of town wedding and that included my dress and rings, and we went overboard on video, photography and the rings.

We saved a ton on flowers and favors as we imported the favors and the venue provided the center pieces which were 12 inch square mirrored tiles with a glass bowl and floating candles. To extra ambience we added rose petals to the table. You can ask a florist how much a large box of rose petals are. Don't mention the word "wedding" and you should get a better price.

Your question and profile don't state where you live. If you let me know I am willing to spend 30 mins to give you some location ideas.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 9:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I'm in So.Cal, AussieMom

Thanks for everyone's ideas.
    I'm gonna do the ipod thing, my little brother is in a band so he has all the sound equipment & he plays the guitar so I've thought about him playing the music while I walk down the aisle.
    unsuspected

Answer by unsuspected at 12:07 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Ten years ago, my DH and I payed about $2500. We paid...

350 DJ
    200 to have my dress custom made cost included fabric
    100 tux rental
    300 flowers we did them ourselves...so easy, there are tutorials on youtube
    35 gazebo at a local park
    50 tent rental, we were worried about rain
    200 booze...we had a keg and boxes of wine and winecoolers ....Cheesy I know, but cheap
    75 for the officiant...retired judge
    100 for miscellaneous decorations
    400 for food
    350 for rentals-dinnerware, table clothes, silverware (my friend just pd 800 last year)
    150 cake

It was a great wedding, Because it was in the park it didn't have to be super formal.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:31 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Everyone above have great ideas..
    and there are great ways to make a nice but cheap centerpices
    ex: buy a clear vase/bowl at walmart (make sure you can later return it)
    get hydrangea (wholesale price)
    also a neat idea go to your local pet store get a feeder gold fish (i believe its 10 for $1) use one fish pet bowl and place a single hydrangea flower... Looks very nice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 14, 2009