What do you do when your boyfriend's mother is bossy and selfish with your 6 month old?

When we visit she doesn't want any one else to hold him and she is bossy about feeding him, which by the way totally wants to over feed him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• speak up dont let her try 2 take control is u do it will continue..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well, in time you may wish more people were like this. Consider it a break, step back and let her go. If something's wrong, your son will certainly let her know it.
    atheistzmbie

Answer by atheistzmbie at 12:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I would let her know my wishes about how much he eats, but then I would let her have him all she wanted, it is a break for you and you should take advantage of it. You can limit how much you go over there, but when you do, let her have him.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I guess you just have to figure out how much of a problem it really is for you. Is it worth a fight? I would be greatful, she will probably be a great babysitter when you need a break. As far as the bottles, start making smaller portions so that when it runs out, it runs out. It is really hard to 'over feed' a baby that is 6 months old. They will let you know when they are done! : )
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• well, the holding thing i don't know. unless he's screaming while she's holding him and he obviously doesn't want to be held by her then i would leave it alone. but the overfeeding thing, i would definatly put my foot down and tell her what you feed him and you would appreciate if she do the same and keep an eye on her. he is only six months, so hopefully the "new" will wear off soon.
    SamsMom125

Answer by SamsMom125 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• my son is 5 months old, and my in-law is very bossy. she criticizes everything i do. first, she use to say he was too skinny, and i needed to feed him. as if i weren't. now, she says he's too fat, and i'm overfeeding. plus, she blames me for her son's obesity, it's not my fault!! he was already chubby when i got to him, and i'm trying to lose weight myself, he won't do it, and he's dragging ME along. now we are all a big fat family. don't be afraid and speak up. the longer it takes for you to do so, the harder it will be. you will find yourself lost, and stuck. dont let her get in your head. you are the mom, and you know what is best. regardless of her age, and wisdom. try this, pretend you listen, don't. only take out what you believe is good advice. i learned it's best to avoid fights with in-laws. might cause issues with hubby, but don't become her little puppet. stay strong.
    x0x0mommyx0x0

Answer by x0x0mommyx0x0 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• you have to tell her!! I know it might seem awkward to tell her to back off but you have to do it. I've been thru this, I didn't say anything to her I just moaned to my boyf, this caused us to argue and eventually I fell out with his mum, we're kinda ok now and she has backed off but I wish I'd said something before all the arguing started...
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You set the rules for your child. Don't be afraid. Your boyfriend should also speak up. She just might respect you more for speaking up.
    marcy3girls

Answer by marcy3girls at 6:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Choose your battles... is she hurting your child? If not, let her be. I know it's SO ANNOYING when the in-laws get in the baby's face and do things differently than you do, but that's just part of life. If she's giving the baby foods you don't want him to have, then TELL HER... but if it's just that she's giving him a little extra or holding him a lot, that's called "spoiling" and it's kinda her job. :)
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2008