How do I get a once nearly potty trained child to start using the potty again?

My daughter is 26 months. At 18 months she was using the potty regularly (pee and poo) and doing great. She got a case of diahrea at 23 months and since then its been a struggle to get her to use the potty or even sit down long enough to try. We even give her the option of the 'little potty' or 'the big potty'. We did the potty chart and rewards thing and she just doesn't seem to care about them anymore. I know she can 'control' her functions and not sure if this is just a power trip for her or if we should just back off and wait til she's ready on her own again. But how long is too long to wait? I need advice and ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you should try talking to her about how she feels about the potty. She might be scared that if she uses it again, she'll end up with diarrhea again. I'm not sure how you would go about having that conversation with a 2yo, but I'm guessing that might be the problem. I'm sorry, that's probably not much help...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have twins that are almost 2 1/2 and I use the reward system. I give 1 hershey's mini for poo and if we have no accidents all day they get to pick a prize from the treasure box (toys from dollar shack, hotwheels, silly little things like that)
    I tried the stickers but it didn't work so I decided on the treasure box idea.
    So far they are great all day & they only wear pullup's during night & nap time.
    Good luck
    yenko

Answer by yenko at 11:07 PM on May. 13, 2009