Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rights, Do I have ANY??

I am not married to my b/f . We have been together for about 4 years, living together for about 3. We have 3 boys, 1 his from prev realtionship, 1 mine from prev relationship & 1 together. His sons mom has hardly been around I stay at home with the children and am actively inolved in all they do. Recently(she just moved back into this state after being gone for about 2 1/2 yrs) my b/f sons mom refuses to let her son(7yrs) be here wth me when his dad is not home. It was hard enough to earn his trust and love till now, bec she has never has anything nice to say about me and lets everyone know just ho much she hates me incl her son. I'm not allowed to say anything because it causes too much drama with everyone. She is now keeping him out of school for no reason, whenever she feels like. Now he wont do anything if i'm involved in it just like before. Everyone does what she wants no one wants the hassle. Do I have any rights?

Answer Question

Asked by Iryshmom at 4:56 PM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • nope. crappy i know

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • If you all get married, maybe you would, I just don't know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • Depending on what state you are in you do if you are the one that has helped your BF take care of him, most states I dont think that you would. But if you BF wont do anything about then that shows that he doesnt give 2 shits what you think about it at all!...let the ex talk! At least you didnt walk out on your child! Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • Since you're not married, then prob not...however I would still call his school and let them know she's been allowing him to be truent.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:03 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • You don't have any but your BF does. He is allowed to arrange after school care for his child any way he wants. And if that caregiver is you, that's just fine.

    If he doesn't have a custody agreement, I strongly suggest he get one.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • No you don't...very crappy and heartbreaking but you don't. I am so sorry that you are going through that =(

    Answer by ShannonLeigh02 at 5:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • IMO,,You do not have a right to interfere.Even if you were married to your BF. It is his and her kid. Now if you thought he (the child) was being abused in some way by the mother. You could call CPS on her.


    Answer by louise2 at 5:14 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • I agree, even if you were married you don't have any rights.

    Who has custody of him? If your boyfriend has custody then he needs to get his ass back into court and do something about all of this.

    If she does, then why in 2 1/2 years didn't your boyfriend go to court to obtain full custody?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • I would report her for not letting the child attend school on a regular basis. To me that's only hurting the child. Otherwise I don't think there's anything else you can do.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:24 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • Really no since you guys aren't married, if you were married and he had a custody order or visitation through the courtrs then she doesnt really have any say if you are home alone with the child during the times when the dad has him other than that there isnt anything you can do, however I do believe that in most states it is against the law for a parent to not let their child go to school or keep them out of school for no good reason so you could possibly call CPS and see what they say about it

    Answer by hautemama83 at 7:14 PM on May. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.