for those that has a tattoo

I am getting one (my first) on Saturday. I am kinda scared and nervous cause I am afraid it is going to hurt really really bad, but I still am getting it done cause I really want it done. A friend of DH told me the best thing is to take a pain killer right before I get it done. A friend of mine said no cause any kind of pain killer thins your blood, but she told me the best thing to do is take 2 shots of Jaygor (however you spell it) and then she said if I want then to finish it once I get home. But DH told me that thins your blood too. Anyone know if it does and what about pain killers? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Alcohol thins the blood too. Anything with Aspirin will thin your blood. I don't think Ibuprofen or Tylenol does though. I don't reommend getting buzzed before hand...bad idea.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:05 PM on May. 13, 2009

• alcohol does thin your blood. I think the best thing to do is go through it sober. Just "suck it up." You've had kids, you can do this! It's not really that bad. Good luck! BTW, what are you getting? I have both of my kids names and astrological signs on my leg.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 5:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• LOL just out of curiousaty why not?
    Anonymous

• Any type of alcohol in your body makes you bleed alot more, I know I dated a tat artist. Chew some gum or something it does help. When i got my first one I thought i was going to die before I got it done. The tat guy gave me a piece of gum to relax and needless to say anytime that i get one I chew a piece of gum. Also if you take a friend with to talk to they can talk you through it..its really not that bad..GOOD LUCK!!
    Anonymous

• Most reputable tattoo artists will not tattoo you if you have a buzz. They also recommend not taking anything that will thin the blood.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:08 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I've had two tats done, none involving pain killers. It really depends on where you get it on your bod. You def can't have any alcohol in your system. It thins your blood. Most places won't allow you to get one done if you've any any of the substances you mentioned. It's for your own safety, and plus it doesn't really hurt that bad anyway. Just bring along your DH and squeeze his hand like hell. LOL.

BTW, I'm anxious to get a third myself. I'd like to get a symbol for my astrological sign: Gemini-the twins. What are you getting anyway? Have fun!!!!
    mjb75

Answer by mjb75 at 5:08 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i am getting a tribal on my lower back it has a butterfly in it everyone says not to get my first one on my lower back, but I only want one. That is true I have kids so I should be able to do this. I have 2 kids
    Anonymous

• oh ya what made me so scared is cause DH friend said it is like a sewing machine going across your body
    Anonymous

• That sounds so awesome. I have a tat on my lower back of the word "LOVED" and the Japanese symbol for good luck on my lower tummy.

Yeah, I was gonna say if you can survive childbirth, I'm sure this would be a walk in the park. LOL. I don't have kids yet, but am planning on TTC in the fall.
    mjb75

Answer by mjb75 at 5:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• As others have said alcohol thins your blood. You will bleed more and the tat does not turn out well. It is against the law in many states to tattoo anyone under the influence. Ibuprofen and Aleve are both NSAIDS and have blood thinning qualities to them. Tylenol is about the only thing youcan take that won't effect you or your tat.
    I have, a few, LOL. The best thing is to relax. Do not holdd your breath. Try hard not to tense up. The More tense, the more it hurts. If you can do some LaMaze like breathing in the first few minutes natural endorphins kick in. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:22 PM on May. 13, 2009