High fever in infant for 4 days

My 13 month old has had fever for the past 4 days. The fever spikes up quickly from 101.5 upwards. The highest it has been to is about 103.5 and I have been using a cool rag on him to bring it down. Doctor has done blood tests, throat culture, nose swab - everything is negative. He just has a sore throat but the continous fever is not normal for the doctors. He has been put on antibiotics and on watch for the next 48 hrs before getting admitted in the hospital.

Has anybody experienced this before? What could be the cause? All tests have come back negative... I just want to know whats wrong with him.

Thoughts?

SPKD

Asked by SPKD at 5:25 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• your doctor actually did something? wow. normally they don't even worry until its up to 106. i know cuz my son was 10 months with a fever of 105 and they did nothing...they just said to push the fluids. so that's all i can tell you, give him gatorade (watered down of course) pedialite, warm water ( helps hydrate faster than cold water), and fever reducers like motrin or tylonal. it could also be teething.
    Anonymous

• is the sore throat and fever the only symptoms? are his glands swollen? is he eating and drinking? I know you have done blood work but did they check his platelet count and white/red blood cells?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:32 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Poor thing. I've never experienced anything like that. I hope all goes well and he gets better soon!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 5:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Is Tylenol and motrin working at all? If it is, then there is nothing more to do except follow the doctor's orders for your toddler. Even if he was still an infant, I doubt they could do much more.

It's not teething. Teething does not cause such a high fever.

Just watch him and make sure that if anything else changes you call the doctor. Keep them informed of what's going on with him (calling, not taking him in unless they tell you to)

There are viruses which just cause high fevers. My kids have had bouts like that, but not for 4 days. (I was told to bring them in if it lasted more than 5 days)

Keep a close eye on your toddler and he'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• I hope he is going to be ok. Just hang in there.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Have you tried placing him in a lukewarm bath & sponging him off slowly? Using this with Tylenol & Motrin is pretty effective for reducing fevers. It may not bring it all the way down, but you don't want it staying high for long periods of time. I hope your little guys feel better soon.
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• just went through this with my 4 yr old use motrin and tylenol together and cool baths eventually it has to break hers hit 103 for 5 days before it broke 4 good
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 9:21 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If it hasn't been done already, I would say get his ears checked.
    marcydarcy

Answer by marcydarcy at 10:18 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I know alot of Mothers in the past have used cool baths but according to the Mayo Clinic that is not good for baby. My husband and I recently went into the Mayo Clinic Rochester for our 4 month olds high fevers for 5 days and they told us that it's many of the old wives tales that used to be used that can actually negatively effect baby. They said using cool/cold water to break a fever actually constricts blood vessels trapping the heat in, causing the tempurature to rise even more. While the external temp will drop, due to the cool water, the internal temp is rising. They also said never to give a baby water for hyrdration, unless in formula. Water is very hard on babies kidneys. Oh and another side note, never use Karols corn syrup for constipations, because it can cause infant botulism (the same reason you shouldn't give babies honey). They told me when she was 6 weeks old or older 1 ounce of apple juice should help.
    Mamasteph217

Answer by Mamasteph217 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2012