Is it just me or are people becoming to damn sensitive these days?

You always have to watch what you say and tiptoe around people these days because you may offend this group or insult that group. It's just rediculous. I'm from Kentucky and I have heard all of the redneck illiterate hillbilly jokes out there hell we all have and do you see us getting all pissed off? No because it's just a joke, but you tell a black joke or a joke about gays and the sh*t really hits the fans.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree. I think they're being racist against us "rednecks/hillbillies" too. We should do something about it. lol (I'm joking)
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 5:31 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Kentucky has a lot of cows. LOL
    Anonymous

• Yes I know what you mean. I call my DH, Black...He doesn't mind that tittle..But others freak out.Some one called me Euro-American once,,I said what happened to white person or caucasian.

Answer by louise2 at 5:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• That's just it, I don't think that those jokes are racist. I think they are just jokes and to be perfectly honest most are pretty damn funny.
    Anonymous

• I agree- it is very hard walking on eggshells trying not to offend anyone... I also feel for you Kentuckians- I live in southwest Ohio (just graduated from NKU) and have family down in Louisa-

jokes on us though, Kentucky has more millionaires than Ohio ...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:32 PM on May. 13, 2009

• No kidding. Trying to keep up with the politically correctness of everything is really hard. Not to mention, it actually changes over time. You used to be able to say, "Handicapped" now you must say, "____ challenged," putting whatever is broken in the line. My father in law refers to himself as a "cripple" because he broke his hip. He's not joking either and he's a well educated man, it's the age of time in which he grew up. I say we're all mentally challenged to keep up with this.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• As a black woman, part of me hears you; and, half the time I want to tell people to: "Hug it out, bishes! And, laugh!  It was JUST a joke!" But, I think given the "I'm suing you" mentality/climate, jokes about race/gender/sexual orientation/physical challenges can be taken out of context and end up on the court transcript during a Civil Rights violation-case...  Which is unfortunate and a blatant exploitation of the whole point of the Civil Rights Act.  HOWEVER, I still think we need to be mindful of the fact that our words can create/fuel deep-rooted beliefs that lead to negative actions that demean/discriminate which is the REAL reason why our Civil Rights need to be protected as women, people of color, GLBT, physically challenged, etc.  Still, I wish funny could just be funny...

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We are in a Recession! haven't you heard!??? LOL I know what you mean though, human nature I guess!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:14 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Of coarse I know that words can be hurtful and I know that some people say things because they want to be mean or hurt someones feelings (and in my opinion they should smacked), but life is hard enough in this day and age without seeing a discrimination suit around every corner. Sometimes we all just need to laugh it off. I know I would never want to deliberately hurt someone or make them feel bad, but some people I just want to say "take that stick out of your butt and chill out".  Plus whatever happened to "sticks and stones can brake my bones but words can never hurt me"?

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 7:56 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I don't tell racial sensitive jokes whatsoever. I rip my SO a new a-hole whenever he comes home with a "new" racial joke.

And please don't lump all African Americans in the same category. You don't know me, so don't tell me how I feel about Black jokes.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:18 PM on May. 13, 2009