How do I start potty training my 2 year old girl?

Angelina is 2 1/2 and I know she is ready to start using the potty... she won't sit on the potty, she runs away and hides... but she will tell me when she is wet or pooped... it is so hard trying to potty train her especially with a newborn at home... need advice please

dianas619

Asked by dianas619 at 5:38 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make a sticker chart and encourage her to sit on the potty. If she goes pee or poop in the potty give her a sticker on the chart. When the chart is full she gets a prize of some sort. Perferablly an activity or a toy. it's not good to use food as a form of award. also, tell her it's pee pee time. Dont ask. if you ask she feels like she has a choice, and if you tell her she's less likely to refuse. pay attention to when she usually goes potty and around those same times tell her it's pee pee time and take her to the bathroom and encourage her to sit on the toilet. Pee or poop times usually happen once every 2-3 hours. If you are busy during the week start it on the weekend so you can have a whole 2 days to really encourage and enforce what you are trying to teach. Good luck!
    My son was potty learned by the age of 28 months. even all through the night. PM if you have questions.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:46 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Get the pampers video it has every idea you can think of.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:50 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Ok I think you should go buy stickers for her to decorate her potty with to make it her own.
    A little trick I used to get my dd potty trained was when she sat on the potty I poured warm water on her bug to give the warm sensation of her peeing and to help her pee it worked and by 18 months she was potty trained she'll be 3 September 12 and is no longer wearing diapers at all.
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Oh I forgot make sure you praise her when she goes potty clap, yell good job anything encouraging
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• With my youngest daughter, I tried Pull-ups but my little one was allergic to them, so I asked her doctor. She said try her with regular panties. We went shopping & she picked her own panties out. We also made a potty chart that we designed using a picture of her potty & her name on it and rewarded with gummy My Little Ponies (she loves them). Every time she went potty she got a sticker, a pony & lots of praise. In less than two week she was going potty all the time. I think we were really lucky because she was even dry over night. Remember, each child is different though. My oldest son was just over 2, my oldest daughter was almost 4 & my youngest son was 16 months.

Good luck!
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 6:38 PM on May. 13, 2009