Crib Matress...

Im trying to find a really good crib matress that isn't 500 dollars!! Are the matress better for the baby if they are firm or on the softer side? Because i heard the firmer they are the better but i don't know if thats true...

MoMmYtObEtO1

Asked by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 5:42 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You want them to be on the firmer side.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• do you know why?
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 5:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you want them to be firm. to me that dosnt sound verry comfey to me but thats what they say. i just got one from walmart for about 80 bucks.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 5:48 PM on May. 13, 2009

• mine is from walmart about $70 is what I paid. It works out great! And yes you want them firm
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 5:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• They're supposed to be firm so that the baby's face doesn't sink into it and suffocate them--I personally think that they are way too firm and could be a little softer without sacrificing safety, but I'm not a mattress manufacturer :) It's not very comfortable for the baby either, my son hates his crib :) I got my crib mattress at Babies R Us for $79, although shipping was another 20.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 5:52 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Firm is better, because in a softer mattress it's easier for the baby to get their face in there and suffocate themselves. Think about it if you lay face down on the floor it just smooshes your nose a little, but if you lay on a soft bed you can burry your whole face in it.
    Anonymous

• I understand being suffocated but my son is 4 months old and can lift his head i even put blankets in his bassinet to make it softer! he doesn't sleep face down! I just think having a really firm matress would be horrible!
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 5:56 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It does SEEM horrible for us, but there have been studies that show, the firmer the mattress the better. (with prevention of suffocation or preventing SIDS-related deaths) I bought a soft mattress before the baby was born for $80; after he was born, I discovered the recommendations. After a few weeks of being totally paranoid about having a soft mattress, I realized it wasn't worth "cheaping out" on and got a new mattress that was $150. I don't think you need to spend more than that on a quality mattress. I tell you, for PEACE OF MIND, it's worth it to just spend more and get a FIRM mattress.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Firmer is better. Make sure you air it out OUTSIDE for a while (a couple days is best). All those new plastic smells that come off of them are actually toxic chemicals off gassing from the mattress.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 6:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We just bought one at Walmart for about $80 and my son sleeps great!
    Anonymous