Cost savings measures?

What if we quit pumping funding into US space programs for 5 years and used the $ for health care and education? Wouldn't that help a lot more people than the space programs that are not directly benefiting the good of many? Just an idea....what do you think? Good or bad?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 6:15 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It would likely mean the unemployment of tens of thousands of people involved with the research and development of space exploration and the building and maintaining of space shuttles, equipment, and exploratory vehicles.

Besides the government has ALREADY pumped hundreds of millions of dollars via subsidies and taxes in to the public school system, and overall the system is failing, because a disproportionately large chunk of those millions goes towards administrative costs, and does not trickle down to students. Pumping endless supplies of money in to ANY program does not automatically make something better, it usually makes things more of what they already were! All more money does is put a band aid on a gaping wound. Making individuals accountable for their positions and productivity, streamlining processes and cutting out costly excesses is how you "clean things up!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• YOu can pump all the money you want into the education system. It will do little till teachers unions and administrators are required to REFORM. The US spends more per student than any other nation, yet our children receive failing grades in comparison. The problem is NOT money. It is bureaucrats, unions, and parents.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:36 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i was thinking about that the other day. i don't think space funding at any time is something i want my tax money going towards. i mean who the heck cares what the hell is up there anyway. not like i'll be there. i just don't see the benefits of space exploration and the such.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with Grlygrlz2.

Also, US space programs ARE VERY IMPORTANT. That is not an area I'd cut funding. I'm for Public assistance reform first. People need to step up to the plate and work a little harder.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 6:56 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would not cut any funding to space programs, we have to stay on top of that ALL THE TIME. Pumping money into healthcare and education in this country is like the war on poverty and drugs
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• thunder
    after they step up to the plate to work a little harder, they need to step back from the table and eat a little less. Healthcare is what is is in this country because of the everlasting Cheetos bag.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• hey i like my cheetos and i am not over weight or have any health issues.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:16 PM on May. 13, 2009

• LOL doritos are better
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:20 PM on May. 13, 2009

• "Besides the government has ALREADY pumped hundreds of millions of dollars via subsidies and taxes in to the public school system, and overall the system is failing, because a disproportionately large chunk of those millions goes towards administrative costs, and does not trickle down to students."

Amen to that.  On average, the school gets $10,000 per student.  A single class of 30 would be $300,000.  Multiply that by a school with 20 classrooms....   Do any of you see that kind of money in ANY classroom in the US?  Heck, they only give the teachers around here $200 for class supplies.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:26 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have to agree. While the healthcare system sucks from top to bottom. A lot of things that we spend money on are preventable. People don't take responsibility for their lifestyles-we are all guilty to a certain degree. But when you have people with issues that could have been prevented and millions of dollars are being spent to care for them............there is a problem.

Also, while I value life just as much as anyone, I don't understand why we spend medicaid money running 90 yr old patients through the system doing thousands and thousands of dollars of services for someone who is going to die. Why can't we let people pass away? At what point does death become a natural part of life???

What quality of life is it to be hooked up to all that stuff at that age knowing full well that that person probably isn't going home.....I just don't understand it.

(ok, off my soap box)
    Anonymous