My 3 year old son is fighting a lot with his 1 year old sister & 10 month old cousin

Help!!! my son Alex (just turned 3) is has a fit when cousin Logan (10 mo) and sister Olivia (1 yr) take a toy to play, especially if he is playing with a group of toys like his cars and they take one, he gives them an angry look and pushes them away, sometimes he hits or if his hands are full (with the toys) he pushes them away with his head. I have put him in time-out, make him share, and he just cries but cant make him share. He goes to a daycare so he interacts with other kids and he is only 2 years older than Olivia; what should I do? I'm afraid my sister-in-law gets afraid to bring Logan to play with my kids, even though she understands they are just kids.

Liceth

Asked by Liceth at 6:18 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ask your daycare provider hwo your son is interacting with the other kids. It's possible he's learning this behavior from another child. Since he's old enough to understand, I'd keep him in time out until he's calmed down and is ready to discuss this with you. Explain to him that he can't play unless he shares. If he's still stubborn on the subject, explain to him that even though his cousin has come over to visit with him, he is not allowed to play. Hopefully, he'll understand that he has to be nice in order to have the pleasure of a playmate.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:21 PM on May. 13, 2009