when can i feed my baby a full jar of fruits or veggies?

i have a 5 month baby girl i feed her about 6 - 8 formula bottles a day. 2 times a day she gets a tablespoon of gerber rice cereal in her bottle ( one in the morning and one before bed) i recently started introducing her to fruits and veggies. she wants the whole jar so i let her have it my mother in law is telling me i should only give her a few baby spoonfuls of fruit or veggies a day. ii was wondering if i am wrong to give her the whole jar if she wants it.

alismomma123

Asked by alismomma123 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my kids were that little and if the wanted it I would give it to them.... I just never did more then a jar My nephew is 7 months old and has been getting whole jars for a while now....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My son's doctor told us at 5 months he could have 2 table spoons of cereal a day and after a few weeks of the cereal he could have veggies. Giving him the who container was fine..that is the portion.
    Angiebaby958

Answer by Angiebaby958 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i have never went by what the drs say.. formula dont help them they need food i started all of mine on cereal bout 1 wk old and food at 1 month it wont hurt them..it fills their belly just do what u feel is right..
    cappsx6

Answer by cappsx6 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If she wants to eat, let her. I'd also stop putting the cereal in her bottle and just let her eat cereal. Let her explore the different textures and tastes - it may help her be less picky as a toddler.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If my daughter wanted to eat more food rather than a bottle I gave it to her. She was on baby food for about 6 months and then we went to table food and bottles. Your mom in law needs to butt out in my opinion. Let your baby eat how much she wants, offer it and formula.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Normally around 6 months
    libbykate

Answer by libbykate at 12:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• As long as she is not throwing it all back up, and is having regular BM and pee diapers, give her what she wants! : ) Every child is different, and she might just be more of an eater than others. Make sure they are sugar-free (VERY important, check the labels) and organic (if possible).
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i started giving my baby the rice (in an oatmeal consistency) at one month. i started giving her things to eat as soon as she showed intrest and let her eat as much as she wanted. i found a great reference on a gerber box of rice cereal that how many servings they should be getting of fruits and veggies a day and at what age. mil can be very mis-informed.
    SamsMom125

Answer by SamsMom125 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If she wants it then give it to her, I found with my son that if I took my cues from him, he was a much happier baby as he'd eaten enough for him not what I thought he should or shouldn't be having.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• not at all... if your baby wants the whole jar then give it to her. my daughter is 4 months and eats the whole jar twice a day plus cereal in her bottle morning and before bed....
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 5:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008