ranch dressing/ 1 yr old

is it ok if I offer a little bit of ranch dressing for my son to dip his dinner? I baked some tofu nuggets and the ranch dressing tastes great with it, but is it ok for a 1 yr. old? just a little bit, they wont be drenched

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 6:28 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think that a little bit will hurt if you can get him to eat ranch dressing
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 7:17 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I think it is fine. Our son even tried BBQ sauce and ketchup at that age. Just put a dab about the size of a dime off to the side. Dip his finger in it and let him taste. Then, if he likes it, he can try dipping the nuggets.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:29 PM on May. 13, 2009

• ok thank you!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Absolutley. Hummus is a great dip for this age, too. Drizzle a little olive oil or flax oil for extra health fat
    12 servings 3 cups
    15 min 15 min prep
    2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (or 6 cups home cooked)
    1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    6 tablespoons lemon juice
    3 garlic cloves, pressed
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    salt and pepper

Drain beans and reserve the liquid when you do so. Blend it along with the other ingredients and 1/4 cup of the liquid. Process until the mixture is smooth. Add liquid until the desired consistency is reached. Adjust seasonings alongwith more cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks for the recipe RKOLOMS!

Fat is actually good (for brain development) for the first 2 years. That is the reason why 1 year old are on whole milk.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Of course I should add that it should all be in moderation:)
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yet 1 year olds aren't supposed to have citrus yet (per you, rkoloms) so what do you substitute for the lemon juice.
    Anonymous

• just advance warning, he may love it so much he wants it with everything. my daughter is 3 and she has loved ketchup since she was about 1. if she sees it when i open the fridge she wants it, she would eat it out of a bowel w/a spoon if i let her. she has had ketchup with: apples, strawberries, bananas, on salad, with veggies. once at olive garden the server brought her a whole bowl with her chicken nuggets and she literally just stuck her hand in and started sucking it off her hands! very cute and funny, gross too, but just wanted to warn ya that if he really likes it he may start asking for it w/everything and some of it may gross you out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:05 PM on May. 13, 2009

• now I know to put it in a separate small dippin bowl! I poured a little on his tray and he dipped his fingers in it like he does with yogurt lol but he LOVED them! thanks everyone =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:21 PM on May. 13, 2009