I read to my 13 month old son because it's fun and I know it benefits him. He kinda does his own thing though and carries on with his baby babble. Do I just keep on reading?

I know I won't keep his attention too long but what do you think? I'd like to help him develop a love of reading like my mother did for me.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 6:44 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Of course! This is a wonderful habit; some day your baby will read to you!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:44 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If he babbles more at one point than another, try to 'discuss' with him what he's seeing. He might think a color is really neat or a word you said sounded enticing. My daughter wouldn't sit still or pay attention for books for the longest time! So we just looked at the pictures instead. Now she loves to sit still while we read. She's even starting to memorize parts. Keep up the good work!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 6:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Keep it up. In the next few month he will probably be bringing you books and telling you to read. My daughter was the same way, and now I can't get her to stop, she is always bringing me books and asking me to read them to her.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 6:46 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Absolutely!

Anonymous

• Read to him as long as he is interested, when he is interested and don't force it. Forcing him to sit and be read to could lead him to resent books and being read to.

When you know he's hit his limit, do just one more page. Then one more page the next time, then one more the next time. Soon, you'll be reading the entire book in one sitting!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:56 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yes by all means keep reading to him.You might think that he isn't listening to you , but he really is. I read to my children while they were in the womb, my husband at the time thought that it was stupid, because he didn't think that the baby couldn't hear in the womb. My children love books and they are teaching their children to love books too.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:57 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you could also instead of actually reading the story just point out the pics and make up a story to go with them. i did that with my daughter at that age when she didn't want to sit still for storytime. and she would laugh b/c i'd make weird or silly stories about the animals or whatever. but as long as he sits with you keep reading. he may just be trying to have a convo about the book or telling you what he sees. you could also give him a book to read while you read, that way he can turn pages etc on his own while you read the other book to him.
    i think its great you're reading to him now! just keep it up, my daughter never once didn't want me to read to her she may have gotten inpatient but if i put the book away she'd pull it back out and want me to read while she hopped on the floor or something.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:59 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My son is like that! I keep reading.
    He will constantly turn the pages too! So I started reading just the pages he would turn to, it works great! He will try to find certain pages that he really likes or close and open the book over and over again. He brings his stories to me now :)
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 7:08 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The story isn't important. Let him turn the pages if he wants. If he stops on a page, talk about the pictures and point to things. As with any "learning" thing - keep it fun and let him go at his own pace.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:13 PM on May. 13, 2009