This is so cute, but is it a normal thing?

My nephew is 3 and has this cute little spanish accent when he talks. Except he doesn't speak a word of spanish. His dad is mexican, so he could be picking up on the accent from him. Is that a common thing with little kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Anyone will pick up an accent from the people they are around the most.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It is normal for kids to pick up their parents speech patterns and accents count. It sounds really cute! I would not worry too much.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Yes it is, Little children mimic what they hear. If he hears his dad's accent he will mimic it.just like a little child can speak any language, because they are so innocent.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:53 PM on May. 13, 2009

• my daughter picks up a louisianna accent whenever daddy is home or she talks to him on the phone (hes navy so hes deployed right now) or whenever she talks to his family members. its so cute especially b/c we've never lived there, only problem is when he's home for awhile and she talks to his family more then and it gets so strong i don't understand her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Its really nothing to worry about. Toddlers tend to mimic the speech patterns of the people around them. Its nothing to worry about it.
    mommy112005

Answer by mommy112005 at 7:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My DD had a southern accent..we lived in California and nobody had the accent. To this day she still has a little bit of it, especially with certian words...no worries sounds normal to me!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:02 PM on May. 13, 2009

• totally normal. my daughter picks up on my husband's german accent. it's funny.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:36 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Completely normal. My cousin had a Boston accent for years and we live in Wisconsin.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My DH is hispanic and works ALOT, but when he is home I have noticed the kids pick up a little accent. Kids pick up accents very easily. My favorite is when we visit family in Chicago or Pennsylvania and they get a little northern accent and then come back home. HILARIOUS!!
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:57 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i still pick up a southern accent when i'm around one of my grandmas, i even have the accent when i talk about her to people. no worries.
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 8:04 AM on May. 14, 2009