Christian mommies that attend bible study, please answer this for me

I used to attend a church where the Bible study was taught by another minister (not the pastor) in a setting that was VERY interactive and actually quite enjoyable. Well we relocated and the church that I attend now (love the Sunday service) has Bible study taught by the pastor (he does just about everything) and it's not very interactive. I mean he occasionally says that he wants us to interact and there are microphones placed in the aisles but instead of feeling like it's ok to ask a question for better understanding, it kind of feels more like you'll be looked at like you are "calling out" the pastor. We don't take turns reading scripture or anything interactive like that. The pastor just talks and teaches solo the entire time. I always leave there feeling totally blank about whatever I was supposed to learn. I don't remember anything, EVER. Which setting do you prefer, interactive or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think interaction between the teacher and the students is very important in the learning process. It helps with practical application and to build relationships within the class. I love the inductive Bible studies written by Kay Arthur and Beth Moore for instance. You have the facilitator/teacher, a class with other women, and you get to dig into the Word for yourself and discuss it in class.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 8:55 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I would definetly say the interactive ones. Two days after I got saved, we started a Beth Moore study in our women's group. It was wonderful! We were all so involved in it,and were free to speak as we wanted to. That is definetly the way to go.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:02 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We go to a Bible study group with only a handful of people (not including the kids, there are at MOST 10 adults at a time). We go to someone's house and they host dinner and Bible study once a week. I feel like it's much more personal...and fun! We have so many good laughs!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:02 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Oh,and I was also going to say, our Sunday morning class is very interactive. He shares what he has,and then encourages us to share what we feel about it. We have some very lively discussions,and we always learn something new about God.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I actually enjoy both. Is there only one Bible study class for the whole church? Most churches, even smaller ones, will have more than one from which you can choose. Also, sometimes, there are week-day neighborhood Bible studies for women. I've attended those and enjoyed them a lot. If your church doesn't offer one, call some of the other churches in your community and ask if they have one you might attend. These are often a bit more informal and might be more like what you are seeking.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:04 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Wow ladies (ReneeK3 & stvmen88), my dh and I will be relocating again soon (he's military). I pray that God sends us to a place that has Bible study like the ones that you've mentioned. They sound like so much fun.-OP
    Anonymous

• They are OP. I will be praying also that God leads you to a great church. He will, all you have to do is trust in Him.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:08 PM on May. 13, 2009

• NannyB., yes unfortunately, there is only one Bible study available. -OP
    Anonymous

• stvmen88, thanks for the prayers :^) and I am trusting in Him.-OP
    Anonymous

• previous church was where pastor did all teaching current one is interactive. It's about 150 women and u sit at tables of 8 with a table leader... she directs the study but it's open participation/discussion style. Afterwards the pastor gets up and she does a 15 to 20 minute mini sermon. I prefer the interactive.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:09 PM on May. 13, 2009