My grandson is ADHD and is on Daytron Patch, he is ornary and zoned out when he gets home fro school and lies about his homework because he doesnt want to do it. anyone having this problem?

lorieart

Asked by lorieart at 7:19 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I really don't know but what are the parents input on this? How do they handle the situation?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 7:27 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Is he working with a therapist who will teach him how to use his ADHD as a benefit? Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this subject; you should be able to find his books at your local libraray; more infomation here: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    He may also benefit from the Feingold diet: www.feingold.org

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 PM on May. 13, 2009

• My son's doctor does not prescribe the patch because you don't know how much of the meds the child is actually getting. Your grandson should not be orenery or zoned out. I would suggest a different type of med. My son is on Vyvanse and doing great. Less side affects then any meds that he was one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:43 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The patch was horrible for my son. It worked but it caused severe skin burns. Also they should never zone. My son did that at 5 and I took him off meds for the next 5 years. We recently put him back on meds.

How does he respond to caffeine? A child with ADHD will calm down with caffeine vs. a child who is not. That came from my son's doctor that caffeine is a stimulant and would work but since it is actually caffeine can effect their sleep.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 3:59 AM on May. 14, 2009