Does your child write thank-you notes?

My 9yo daughter thinks I'm the only mom in the world who "makes" her child write thank-you notes. She doesn't think she should have to if she saw them in person and thanked them already. She also thinks a phone call thank-you is good enough. I was raised writing thank-yous after bday, Christmas, graduations, etc. I think it's just proper etiquette. Am I outdated?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 7:34 PM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Only if he does not get the gift face to face and thank the person then.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Even if they get the gift and thank the person in person. For the youngest, I write it but he "signs" it. For the older two (5 and 3) they write "thank you" and sign their names then I add a little personal note saying for what they are thanking the person.

Once my 5 year old starts kindergarten next fall, he'll start writing more of the note himself. (no logical reason for that particular time...just because! lol)

No, you're not outdated. But I think we're in a minority.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:06 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Every gift gets a hand written thank you note. The gift may not get used until the thank you note has been mailed. This is a life skill.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Mine will. Right now I write them and she puts a handprint in them - she's only 2. As she gets older, she will write them.
    I know that it is considered optional for gifts that are opened in person however.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:23 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Always, even when they are given in person. It's just the right thing to do.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:29 PM on May. 13, 2009