sex before marriage

I got to thinking the other day... if I'm correct, the bible mandates that one should not partake in sex prior to being married, correct? However, when that was mandated (allegedly handed down from God to man), weren't most individuals married by the time they were in their early adolescence (12-15)? Therefore, isn't it a bit of a stretch to ask people to wait until they are married in modern society (in the U.S. the average age of marriage is 26-27)?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 8:20 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is not unreasonable or a stretch, people do it all the time! God knew what these times would be like - it is like saying that the world is harder and faster now- we have cars- so does that mean it is a stretch to not kill people? I mean you are more likely to face anger, and frusteration these days....
    Anonymous

• it appears that modern soceity thinks that waiting til marriage is out of the question. which i don't agree with. i didn't wait but since i didn't and have grown up some i wish i had waited and done it the lords way.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:27 PM on May. 13, 2009

• but was 12 - 15 really 12 to 15 when the bible speaks of people living to be 500 yrs old? some ppl want to go into marriage unblemished and virtuous. That's great and a lofty goal; however, it's not an easy task when influenced by such things as media (videos, movies, explicit and arousing music). It is a stretch? No not really when it's a personal goal. I admit I couldn't wait that long but then again I married so I could have sex (at 16) bc my mom told me I couldn't have sex until then. Was that right to force me to get married to have sex? I don't think so but that's another question.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:28 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Not unreasonable at all. Hubby and I waited and we were both 27. I have friends who waited even longer.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:30 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Well... it's my opinion that it's absolutely fine to do the deed before marriage. Sex can be a VERY important thing in a marriage --- if you aren't compatible sexually, could be setting yourselves up for some big issues down the line.

I wouldn't buy a car w/o test driving it first.....I definately want to know what my sex life is going to be like with someone before devoting my life to that person.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• What you are implying is that people have no control and cannot make it without sex. It can be done.
    If you have the mindset that sex is for marriage and marriage only, it changes things. Sex before marriage has caused a whole bunch of complications in our society. Just look around. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 8:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I don't think it's a stretch, but it's certainly not for everyone. Especially considering the idea of only living together AFTER marriage is becoming more and more outdated (people like knowing what they're signing up for - I don't blame them!), waiting until you sign some papers isn't really the most important aspect of taking "the next step" in a relationship for a lot of people.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 8:36 PM on May. 13, 2009

• That's a great question!

That's huge problem with the bible, it doesn't translate well to the 21st century.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I wish that i would have waited but sex and marriage is like buying a car. You always test drive a car before you decide to buy it right? Then you have to know if your gonna have good sex before you marry the man. right? So ladies think about that one.
    Anonymous

• I can definitely agree with your thinking. Not only do I agree with that but another thing to consider is several preachers have explained to me that marriage doesn't require the ceremony or even a religious authority to perform a ritual. Marriage is a heart felt "I want to spend the rest of my life with only you." As long as your heart and brain fully want the lifelong relationship then you're good. : D In that case, I can have sex with the love of my life without needing the ceremony and it's all good.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 8:47 PM on May. 13, 2009