My daughter will be 1 years old on June 9th...

Today she came up to my hubby with a dipper while he was laying down, and he noticed she pooped...is that a sign to maybe think about potty training already?? or should i just wait?

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 8:21 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just wait and watch and see. Is she talking? Is she able to tell you if she has to go potty?
    Anonymous

• She says a couple words but she wouldn't be able to tell me that. I just didn't know if that was one of the signs for potty training or not...and I didnt know whats the earliest age u cud start at.
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 8:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• She doesn't have to be able to tell you. Many older toddlers do - at first. But then they decide that playing with their toys is more fun and they stop telling.
    Should you start now? Remember that even newborns will scream about a poopy diaper... they just can't strip it off and demand a clean one. And there is a big developmental difference between "Thsi is yucky, clean please" and "I'm about to do that thing that makes me yucky".
    In general, there are two schools of thought... neither is "right":
    You can start but remember that you will be doing most of the work. You will need to learn when she poops so you can get her to the potty around that time, you will need to learn her "I'm about to pee" body signals. She will eventually need to be taught to do it all herself.
    You can wait until she show most of the readiness signs. The biggest is going 2 hours or more between wet diapers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:48 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Although Im totally an advocate for early potty training I do believe one is a lil young,start at say 18 months.However you could show her the potty isnt scary by sitting her on it.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:02 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i would try her on it but if you think shes struggeling maybe wait another year
    im_his_lady09

Answer by im_his_lady09 at 12:22 AM on May. 14, 2009

• Yea i think she could be intrested you should get a training potty chair and try it my daughter started takeing hers off and thats when I got her started going but make sure your daughter can telll you when she has to go cus if she is to young to say potty or pp or whatever then theres no point in trying cus you wont ever know when she has to go lol good luck!
    Ochoamommy

Answer by Ochoamommy at 12:43 AM on May. 14, 2009