Are my potatoes still good to eat?

OK. I've had this bag of potatoes for about 2 weeks now. I go to peel them because I am making mashed potatoes and baked salmon tonight and I find these white stalks growing out of them. I am terrified right now because I have never seen anything like this before. Of course I take the bag of potatoes and throw it into the trash. My DH says they are still good to eat, and takes them out of the trash. Does anyone have any idea what this is and if my potatoes are still OK to eat. I dont want to poison my family. THANKS!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• they're called 'eyes" on the potatoe..or roots..and yes they're still good to eat. ive done it plenty of times/
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 8:37 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Those are the eyes (root buds), and YES they're good. They are there because they didn't spray those to prevent them. People don't like the look of them, so they spray them to prevent them from growing.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:45 PM on May. 13, 2009

• They are eyes. I just pluck them off and move on. I usually put them in the fridge to prolong the shelf life. Then can last for months in the fridge. You just don't want to eat the eyes themselves. When they're shriveled and moldy, or if the eyes are ridiculously long, THAT's when you throw them away... GL. If you can take them off with your fingers or with a potato peeler, you're good to go...
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 8:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Just cut off the roots and peel them, they are fine. If they are green then I wouldn't eat them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Ditto to what the pp's stated.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:36 AM on May. 14, 2009