I have alot of belly fat,what does that mean?

I 'm hoping it means I don't metabolize sugars properly and it means I can get Diabetes. Has anyone heard that?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 8:35 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would need to know the answer to several questions. First, how old are you? Do you exercise daily, and how much? What does your diet consist of? and do you have a lot of stress in your life? For the last question, if you do in fact have a lot of stress, they say it can produce a chemical called Cortisol, which increases fat in your stomach, thighs, and butt. Trust me I know all about that. Oh and one more question (this may seem silly) but are you or have you recently been on birth control? That def increases your fat.

Sorry I asked so many questions. There's a lot to factor into it.
    mjb75

Answer by mjb75 at 8:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• yes there is a theory about waist to hip ratio and if your stomach is big and wider than your hips it puts you at risk for certain diseases like heart disease and diabetes.

Most of the time, though,I think belly fat means you are probably a woman who has had kids or has trouble keeping a flat tummy. I am right there with you and it sucks, I know.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 8:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• why would you want diabetes? just because you have belly fat doesn't mean that...it just means you have belly fat. everyone has it. ok except for some models...but they're not healthy
    Anonymous

• it means there is potential for health problems such as you mentioned. Your age has to do with metabolism. Do some strength training exercises (very easy to do) while watching tv and the muscles will start burning up the fat for you. Also jump start your metabolism by doing simple things like eating breakfast. If your body think's it's starving it will store food (in your belly many times) so eat small portions but eat often ...healthy foods of course.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I'm a type 2 diabetic and I do not have a fat belly. If your waist measurement is equal to or larger than your hips, you are setting yourself up for health problems. Not just diabetes, but heart problems, digestive problems, etc. Extra weight in the middle puts a strain on all your organs. This does NOT mean that you will get them, though, just like being thin doesn't mean you won't get these problems..

With hypoglycemia, you do eat a lot of protein but it doesn't have to be meat. There are other sources of protein like cheese, cottage cheese, eggs and nuts. You should also be eating a lot of fiber to help stabilize your blood sugar level. Fiber doesn't always come from bread or whole grains; raw veggies and some fruits have a lot of fiber too. When I had hypoglycemia, apple slices with peanut butter was a great snack. The apple provided the healthy carbs and fiber and the peanut butter provided the protein.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:13 PM on May. 13, 2009