Are there any older moms out there? I am 41 and have two boys 3 and 4. I took them to the park yesterday and I felt really old, it was quite depressing!

I love being a mom, I didn't have kids in my first marriage. But sometimes it is a little hard being an older mom!

barbieluv

Asked by barbieluv at 11:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, your not alone at all. I know exactly how you feel. I am about to be 44 and my daughter is 2 years and 3 months. When I go take her to Mothers Day Out, the other mothers are about 20 years younger than me. All my friends have kids that are now entering their late teens or early twenties. I have been asked more than once if my daughter was my grand daughter.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I am 39 with 4 kids and I would have another if I could. Don't worry and don't take it personal when people say or do stupid things. Your kids know you love them and you're their mother and isn't that all that really matters.
    prissymommy

Answer by prissymommy at 2:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You are not alone. I'm 43 with an almost 5 year old. It seems like most of the moms here are really young! Most of my friends from high school and college have kids in high school or college. I don't regret waiting. It was right for me. Don't sweat it. You did what was right for you.
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 3:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• you are so not alone.. I turned 39 this past wednesday and I have one 11 year old and 2 daughters that are 4 and almost 2.. and yes when you are at the park and see20 something year olds running around with kids that are the same age as your kids it does kinda get to a person.. I totally relate...
    BreakingFree

Answer by BreakingFree at 11:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well, I can't totally get this but I can kinda, I'm almost 23 and my bro is 5, our mum is 42 and she is defo not impressed with being a granny to a almost 1 yr old already!! She said I've made her feel ancient, it's esp bad when we all go out and ppl think my bro is my son.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 3:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My kids are 15 and 13, but I can understand in a way. I have a sister who is 30 with a toddler, so we talk. I just told her that a lot of women are CHOOSING to be mothers later in life. More power to you. Don't worry about other people. SOMEONE will ALWAYS have somethig to say. kEEP YOUR HEAD UP, AND BE THE BEST MOM YOU CAN......=)
    marcy3girls

Answer by marcy3girls at 6:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• dont feel bad i live in arkansas and i am concidered an old mom at 32? its a very strange place we are at in this world
    wondermommy002

Answer by wondermommy002 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Boy, do I feel your pain at times! I'm 45 and went back to coloring my gray hair after being mistaken too many times as my 4-yr. old's grandmother. I think it's just a sign of the times. It's not uncommon to be a 30-year old grandma nowadays. Also, the women who I was friends with in college all opted for career before family. This worked for us until our mid-30s when we realized that all sorts of crazy things happen to our bodies after 35 to have babies! needless to say, our focus shifted very quickly, and we all became part of that 'brain drain' from corporate jobs to have families. Now we're called, "on ramp" moms as we seek to get back into the job market. (We were "off ramp" when we left it). So don't worry. It does help to work out and keep your energy up for their growth and development- I insist on being strong enough to give my daughter piggy back rides! Just appreciate that you have children and as the other Mom said, be the best that Mom you can be.
    BuddhaMom007

Answer by BuddhaMom007 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I'm right there with you! I will turn 40 this summer and have a three year old son and a 10 month old daughter (waiting for us in Guatemala!). A lot of our friends have teenagers. (good babysitter pool!) It sometimes scares me to think how old we will be by the time our little ones reach that age! There are definitely advantages, though. My husband and I did lots of travelling and really established our careers before having our kids. Now, we feel we are better parents for our experiences and have more patience and appreciation for our little ones than we might have had, if we had had them in our twenty's. (No disrespect meant to any of the twenty-somethings.) We are struggling with keeping up with the energy of our three year old, now, and have recently been having lots of discussion about how we MUST stay in shape, so we can enjoy these years and not be too tired to enjoy them. Hang in there!
    momto1andwaitin

Answer by momto1andwaitin at 9:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I'm right with you Mommies!! I have a 4 yr old. I was asked if he was my grandson and I said, "Nope I earned every gray hair on my head with his delivery!" I guess cause Im a BIG woman/brunette and my son is blonde, looks more like his sperm donor of a father then me ( glad he got the same body frame !) but I dont take offense.....what bothers me is one child care center manager asked if I adopted him! So I use the I earned every gray hair and stitch from his birth, I had a 4th degree tear! I said I HAD him when I was 42....not that I GOT him! No... I did not use that center for his daycare!

OLDER MOMMIES UNITE!! LOL You GO girls!
    JaxFLMom45

Answer by JaxFLMom45 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2008