How can I get mildew out of carpet?

My carpet got flooded awhile back, and I noticed it after removing a dresser today. Is it removable, or should I just get new carpet?

tigerlily721

Asked by tigerlily721 at 8:58 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• get new carpet. you will never completely get rid of the mildew. you may want to check the flooring underneath the carpet. if you have mildew growing on the carpet then more than likely it is growing in your floor and walls. sorry. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:59 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We had a pipe to the bathroom leak in the wall, it caused the baseboards and carpet to get wet.
    All the tackboards under the carpet were mildew and the baseboards began to grow a mildew/mold. I was told I could spray TILEX mildew remover, like you use for the bathroom. I used it on the floor after the carpet was up and on the baseboards. I did have to get new padding and carpet, but all the wood was fine. Good Luck
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:17 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Crap. Thanks, I didn't think about underneath the carpet!
    tigerlily721

Answer by tigerlily721 at 9:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Rip it up and get new carpeting. There is no way to get it all out. That stuff can spread and cause major health problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on May. 13, 2009

• You need to find the source of the problem too and fix it.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 2:03 PM on May. 14, 2009