Should I have a big birthday party for a first birthday?

I was thinking about just getting one of the shelter/ playgrounds at the park and having a picnic with family and close friends (it's not untill august). My sister had her son's birthday at chuck e cheese and he didn't really care. Maybe the zoo, he loves animals. Any other ideas would be great.

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 8:59 PM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can do the picnic thing. with my son we just had a little get together with close friends and family, between lunch and dinner, had finger foods, some entertainment for the kids (they were young so we had a blow up ball pit from walmart that he got as an early gift) had a couple games for the adults ( how many cheerios in the jar, ect). the adults kinda just sat and talked, the kids played, he opened presents, we had cake and that was it. it's mainly for you to celebrate you actually got through the first year :) lol. the child really could care less, well, except for the toys and cake of course! so yeah the party is mainly for the parents enjoyment. i say just have a small get together, but that's IMO
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:09 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I say go all for the first birthday, they only turn1 once. Don't forget to do the whole baby play in the cake. It is funny to watch but no so much fun the clean up. LOL My sons party is this weekend he is turning 1.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 9:19 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Whatever it is you do, just make sure to take LOTS of pictures... thats the only thing thats going to matter 20 years from now when you show their date pictures of them ;) ahhahaha
    Anonymous

• My daughter is turning 1 next month, and we are having a small b-day celebration at a restaurant the Saturday before her b-day, so my SO's family can see her, give gifts, etc. On her ACTUAL b-day, it will be just baby, daddy and me. We'll make banana muffins for breakfast (she LOVES bananas), then head to the park for the afternoon. For dinner we'll have something we all can enjoy. We'll do the whole "cake smashing" thing at the restaurant party.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:26 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We had a wonderful family party at home. It's such a milestone to get through the first year. I say go for it! It's a very special time.

Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 9:47 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I think the first birthday parties are more for the parents. We threw a big one for dd and she could have cared less. We got some great pictures but seeing is how it was her birthday she really didn't enjoy it. When ds turned one we did a small party with just family. It was much nicer and since it was at home he had all his favorite toys and was in his comfort zone. All in all it's really up to you.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:37 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Your idea is nice. Kids at one are clueless, really.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:37 PM on May. 13, 2009